The DHCPd lease file /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases does not contain any leases.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Oracle Linux 8.7
Webmin version 2.021

Additional info: first time poster did not complete description. Oracle Linux 8.7 fully updated, webmin 2.021. When checking on DHCP leases, suddenly noticed that the interface showed no leases for various subnets even though checking via terminal verified that the leases existed. Another identical DHCP server serving another section of our network is working fine although with far fewer leases. Any suggestions for troubleshooting or fixing this problem?

I can only offer some generic advice. I usually would start with something like:
grep -ir dhcp /var/log/

If that provides too much info ( My last home router was pretty noisy checking to make sure addresses from the DHCP pool weren’t being assigned elsewhere):
grep -ir dhcp /var/log/ |grep error (or fail or warning)

The /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases file exists, the DHCP service is functioning properly and issuing IP addresses and renewing leases as requested. Webmin just seems not to be able to read the file or display it.

But is empty and it SHOULD have listings? That’s what the thread title suggests.
Then the system should be kicking up an error when it tries to write to it.

Or it exists and has leases but they don’t display in Webmin? Then maybe the Webmin log should show an error.

Thanks for your time and suggestions. I can use nano on /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases and verify that all leases exist. Webmin simply does not show them. I can tail -f /var/webmin/webmin.log while attempting to view the leases on the server and nothing shows as an error. Is there some place else I would need to look? Or some setting to record the actions that are being attempted? The permissions on the /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases file are 0644 and owned by dhcpd. Have a good weekend

OK. I added this to a VM with Ubuntu that I created for testing. I show a slightly different path:
The DHCPd lease file /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases does not contain any leases that are active at the current time.
That’s from the lease page. See if yours is checking the correct place or if you OS version is confusing Webmin. That would make sense.

/var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases is the path set in the system configuration for webmin dhcp module and that matches the location of the actual dhcpd.leases file on the Oracle 8.7 linux server. What seems odd is that it was working within the last 2 weeks and there have been no known changes in the dhcp rpm package or with the 2.021 webmin module that I am aware of. I can see the actual leases within the dhcpd.leases file and clients (linux, windows, macs, iphones, androids, etc) are receiving correct addresses. I am sorry I am not a programmer so don’t know how to check for myself what is happening in the code.

From your original description I wasn’t sure what was going on so I was only trying to ‘define’ the question a little better.

File exists
Displays properly from command line
GUI doesn’t display contents
You’ve checked that Webmin is set to look in the correct place

I’m with you here. That’s as far as I can take it. File permissions would be my only remaining wild guess at this point but I’d think that would throw an error in the logs.

Yes, and file permission for /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases are 0644 dhcpd:dhcpd – same as the working server.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.