The CentOS Demise

Both AlmaLinux and Rocky work using dev versions of the installer. But, you should install CentOS 8, right now. We will announce support when folks can use those new distros in production.

There is no reason to not choose CentOS 8 today. It is fine, right now. Switching to another RHEL rebuild distro is easy. Don’t make it complicated.

1 Like

It works perfectly with AlmaLinux. If you want to do it the easy way and right now:

1. Install CentOS 8.3 minimal
  2. Update it
  3. Install Virtualmin using the automated script
  4. Update it if necessary
  5. Run the AlmaLinux migration script.
  6. Reboot the server.

After the migration, log in to Virtualmin. It will tell you that the OS has changed and ask you to click a button. Do it, and you’re done.

I’ve had a testing server running that way for a couple of months. No issues at all.

Richard

3 Likes

In-fact, there was a bug in current Webmin version. That said, only Webmin 1.980+ will properly detect and support AlmaLinux with various Webmin modules.

Please wait a bit more for official support for AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux.

1 Like

I totally agree, nothing compares to the stability of the 10-year support. By the way, Joe which Centos clone is best to work with Virtualmin? which do you recommend?
Regards

I recommend CentOS 8 right now.

1 Like

I’ve been late to the party Joe. I’ve been on C7… Are there any issues with it, do I need to move?. Thanks

@RJM_Web_Design said: this business is … dominated by tightwads … you’re all a bunch of bums.

I prefer to be called CHEAP. : )

BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU PAY FOR VIRTUALMIN PRO AND SUPPORT OUR GUYS HERE!!!

1 Like

I just talked with Greg (Rocky Linux) a couple of days ago. He has the same passion as he did with CentOS. He said that 8.4 was their goal, and they have that up now (they even had an 8.3RC up before that).

But RJM is right. If Rocky Linux is not supported, the same “takeover/shutdown” will happen again.

1 Like

I agree. Even if you don’t need Pro, if you’re using it to make money, I think you should pay for the Pro version.

Actually, I believe that people should pay something, in keeping with their ability to do so, to the maintainers of all FOSS software that they use, assuming it’s also good software. Being FOSS isn’t enough to get money out of me. It also has to be good (or at least have the promise of becoming good in the case of new projects).

As an aside, the most recent addition to my list is OpenMediaVault. I installed it as a stopgap a while ago when an expensive NAS I ordered turned out to be faulty. In the process of installing an additional 8TB Exos drive on OMV a few days ago, I realized that it was so good that I was no longer looking for a retail NAS. So I sent them money.

It’s not generosity. It’s self-interest. If you want good software to stay around, you need to support it. We’ve lost a lot of good projects (including CentOS) due to lack of financial support.

Richard

2 Likes

Yes I’m with you man. Rest is palava.

1 Like

Joe:

As you know we are communicating on UBUNTU, but the Centos install does not allow cgi-bin to work either.

I just did a quick install for development purpose, hoping to find a solution to the suexec issue, bringing up a CENTOS install, but cannot even get a simple Hello World working under normal conditions. ie: http://wwwc.netstores.com/cgi-bin/test.pl

System hostname
upgrade21.netstores.com (155.138.148.99)Operating system
CentOS Linux 8.4.2105Time on system
Friday, July 9, 2021 6:36 AMKernel and CPU
Linux 4.18.0-305.3.1.el8.x86_64 on x86_64System uptime

It is not expected to. I’ve explained the situation with CentOS 8 in one of your other threads. If you want CGI on CentOS with Virtualmin, you’ll need to run CentOS 7. But, CentOS 7 will also not work the way you seem to want it to (running suexec apps outside of the suexec docroot).

Edit: Ubuntu and Debian allow you to configure the suexec docroot at run-time via suexec-custom, but that docroot still can’t be /. CentOS does not have suexec-custom; the docroot is compiled in.

I have set up an AlmaLinux 8 Xen 4.15 host and it works extremely well. I also just created an AlmaLinux 8, Debian 11, Ubuntu Server 20 and almost done with a Fedora 34 Server VM for Xen/Cloudmin to share if anyone needs them.

2 Likes

I have a test server setup which was original CentOS 8 with Virtualmin installed. I migrated it to Rocky Linux 8.4 with their migration script. Virtualmin detected the OS change and continued to work smoothly. All seems good so far.

That just answered my question. Thanks.

Have you noticed how many “redhat clones” are now popping up? IBM will eventually regret their decision. I just hope we end up with one that doesn’t “go away” again.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest… I almost want to thank them for doing it. For one it pushed a few new distros into creation and likely ran some of the people who used to contribute code away as well and left RedHat/IBM with a big black eye. As I was just about to upgrade to 8 I was ready and able to switch over to Ubuntu and absolutely love it. I have less if any problems installing or running things and only a slight learning curve but worth it. I won’t be going to redhat or any of their clones because they all still feed off of Redhat. Their move said ‘we don’t want you’ and I really didn’t need them. People will remember what they did for a long time.

1 Like

It just seems that all distros are based off a few main ones like Debian, RH, Suse minus the one like Gentoo and FreeBSD. I guess it all depends on the look and feel of each distro (desktop version) and where it puts things and which packages it installs and how it installs apt, rpm, yum. Maybe I’m over simplifying it but I have installed a variety of distros through virtualbox or VM and they all seem to generally be the same.

Meanwhile, Ubuntu still going as strong as ever :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@lulatsch66, here’s my “dovecot-fix” script info:

• make a backup of your entire /etc/dovecot directory

• create a work folder (i.e. /root/work/dovecot) for the following files

• create a “dovecot.conf” template (you’ll only need the “local example” section for special domains)

dict {
}
!include_try conf.d/*.conf
!include_try local.conf

local 74.208.144.147 {
  protocol imap {
    ssl_cert = </home/example.com/ssl.cert
    ssl_key = </home/example.com/ssl.newkey
  }
  protocol pop3 {
    ssl_cert = </home/example.com/ssl.cert
    ssl_key = </home/example.com/ssl.newkey
  }
}
  • create a “dovecot.conf.sh” script (to call from cron every day, hour, after reboots, etc)
#!/bin/bash

/usr/sbin/virtualmin list-domains --name-only --toplevel > /root/work/dovecot/dovecot.conf.dat
/usr/bin/perl /root/work/dovecot/dovecot.conf.pl         > /root/work/dovecot/local.conf

/bin/cat /root/work/dovecot/dovecot.conf > /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
/bin/cat /root/work/dovecot/local.conf > /etc/dovecot/local.conf

/bin/chown -R root:dovecot /etc/dovecot/
/bin/chmod -R ug+rw,o-rwx /etc/dovecot/
/etc/init.d/dovecot restart
  • create “dovecot.conf.pl” script (called from .sh script above)
use strict;
use warnings;

my $filename = '/root/work/dovecot/dovecot.conf.dat';
if (open(my $fh, '<:encoding(UTF-8)', $filename)) {
  while (my $row = <$fh>) {
    chomp $row;
    my $key = "";
    my $cert = "";
    if (-e "/home/$row/ssl.key"   ) { $key  = "ssl.key"   ; }
    if (-e "/home/$row/ssl.newkey") { $key  = "ssl.newkey"; }
    if (-e "/home/$row/ssl.cert"  ) { $cert = "ssl.cert"  ; }
    if (length($key) && length($cert)) {