Terminal stuck on "connecting" - no prompt

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Server 22.04
Webmin version 2.021

Hi all.

First time poster but user of Webmin for 2 years.

I find that the teminal is unreliable often. It stays on “connecting” with the spinning disk and never shows the command prompt.

Somethimes a downgrade works but not this time.

Any clues as to how to start troubleshooting?

1 Like

fail2ban maybe, hope you do dayly backup. having spinning disks always worries me of a hardware failure

thanks Stefan,

I’ve not set up fail2ban yet on this new machine.

The spinning disk isn’t the hard drive. It’s the little circle to the right of the word “connecting” but never gioves the command prompt.

It might be a browser thing. Have you tried another browser? I’m using Opera for my Webmin install and sometimes things hang and I have to hit stop and reload. My Firefox is so locked down I probably couldn’t use it for my Webmin/Virtualmin site.

Edit: Not only does that staff have to support multiple OS versions there are browsers to consider. I use Firefox, Chrome, Chromium and Opera on a daily basis. Occasionally, Brave.

Oh, new machine. You done all the dns checks. Ping ok?

fail2ban in our default configuration has nothing to do with local WebSockets connections (which is how the terminal works, Webmin is proxying for you, so if you’re not blocked from Webmin, you’re not blocked from the Terminal).

Look at the Webmin log for clues. Check the JavaScript console for errors.

Try a different browser. The Terminal requires pretty modern browser features, and also can be blocked by some extensions. Try an incognito/private window with no extensions enabled.

sorry, terminal I thought ssh.

So, of worked out that it’s fine when accessing webmin on the local network.

When I access webmin via the Web using apache/reverse proxy, the terminal won’t connect.

I’ll ditch the reverse proxy anyway for security reasons and just tunnel in or vpn to access webmin locally.

Thanks for the replies all :+1:

1 Like

Ah! You left out a very important detail!

Sorry Joe. I didn’t figure this out until today!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.