Syncthing and virtualmin conflict

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 11
Webmin version 2.001
Virtualmin version 7.3-1
Syncthing 1.22.2

I need to install Webmin-Virtualmin and syncthing side by side inside a LXC container in proxmox. I used the “Debian LCX script” at tteck github io / Proxmox to create the container. This appears to be ‘pure’ debian 11.

I installed syncthing successfully using this method - How To Install Syncthing on Debian 11 - idroot .

I then installed virtualmin using the method at Virtualmin - #7 by Burgess85 - General Discussion - DietPi Community Forum which “will force the script to recognize the host as a debian operating type”.

At this point, syncthing no longer works. Probably no surprise given the pieces assembled. It is something I need and I need to ask for help.

I am very familiar with syncthing. I know it was correctly working given I could “curl” the content inside the host and systemctl showed it as active.

I have spent an embarressing amount of time trying to resolve this, but don’t have the skills to resolve some type of conflict that may or may not involve ipv6 virtualmin port assignments. I did attempt to learn and fix all these complex items.

I dont expect anyone to troubleshoot this unusual mix, but I thought I would ask given it is possible that someone might know about this conflict. Very grateful if anyone has knowledge of this issue they can share.

1 Like

Why “force the script to recognize the host as a debian operating type”?

Unrelated to anything else that you have posted, please note that this is not the standard way to install Virtualmin.

The standard way is:
https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/installation/automated/

I don’t see any reason Virtualmin would have anything to do with syncthing.

You’re going to need to provide more information. We have no experience with syncthing, hell, I’ve never even heard of it until just now. But, Virtualmin does not use port 8384 and I don’t see any reason installing Virtualmin would have anything to do with whether it works or not.

So…you need to give us some errors to work with here.

Thank you both for your time. I need to improve the quality of my request for help. I will:

1. go through the process listed in the first post, but run virtualmin without installer script modifications that “will force the script to recognize the host as a debian operating type”. I need to reproduce (or not) the error or conflict without the modification.
  2. report the results of step 1
  3. review how people report errors in some other posts and report back here.

It won’t install on a Pi running Raspbian, without that modification. I don’t have major objections to that change, but I do think it’s worth noting that we have never tested on your OS and it is not a supported OS or architecture. You definitely won’t have the full mail stack, since you’ll be missing a package.

To be clear: Nothing wrong with making that change. You’re not going to get anywhere without it. Just trying to set expectations at the right level here, since you’re using a configuration we are not familiar with.

I’ll run four tests in an attempt to reproduce or confirm a virtualmin syncthing conflict:

Test 1

Test 2

Test 3

• use DIETPI Debian (proxmox)
  • add syncthing and confirm it works
  • add virtualmin (WITHOUT virtualmin install script MODIFICATION)
  • Do syncthing and virtualmin work side by side?

Test 4

• use DIETPI Debian (proxmox)
  • add syncthing and confirm it works
  • add virtualmin (WITH virtualmin install script MODIFICATION)
  • Do syncthing and virtualmin work side by side?

Oh, wait. Why the heck were you using a modification for a Raspberry Pi on a virtual machine that is not a Raspberry Pi? I’m confused about the situation here.

If you’re not running on ARM architecture or some operating system that won’t call itself Debian, you absolutely do not want to modify the install script. That doesn’t even make sense. We support Debian 11 on x86_64. You should not be modifying the install script for a supported OS.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.