Switching from fcgid to fpm

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version UBUNTU22
Webmin version 2.001
Virtualmin version 7.2-1
Related packages SUGGESTED

I have had issues with php-fpm before so I keep using php fcgid. Today I start a new server and decide to try php-fpm again, and this time I think I can finally identify and reproduce the problem.

My websites are built by Joomla, it runs well under php-fcgid, but as soon as I change it to php-fpm under php options, the website will just show “Error” on the browser, and the php error is something like

Failed to read session data: user (path: /home/dd/tmp) in /home/wsstv/public_html/libraries/joomla/session/handler/native.php on line 260

Based on my past experience, this is definitely some connection problem with database. For example, if the mysql database server is down, then the website’s behavior will be just like this. So, switching from php-fcgid to php-fpm will cause some database problem?

Can someone explain this and share a solution?

@shenkwen,

We’d need some more information to offer suggestions, however it’s like more of a Joomla issue then a PHP-FPM issue. Perhaps you might want to poke their community to see if others are experiencing the same issue and whether anyone has addressed it.

Not that we mind helping over here, but it just seems you might get a more specific response from the Joomla community as this isn’t really a Virtualmin issue as much as it’s something to do with the script and perhaps utilizing PHP-FPM with it.

I would say not, php can not read the session data this is likely to be a permissions error if your using nginx perhaps look at this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9203320/php-fpm-and-nginx-session-problems

Thanks. You are probably right.
Anyway, I switched back to fpm after a while and now it seems the problem is gone

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.