SuExec PHP, Network Config issues

Operating system: Proxmox-ve_6.3-1 & CentOS-Stream-8-x86_64-20210302
CentOS Minimal Install, w/ no extra options. I had to run the installer with “Auto ipv4” just to get virtualmin downloaded. So i’m trying to set my IP address correctly, and i’m not sure where to do all that.

How do i diable SuExec? i’ve looked and can’t find out for some reason.

I get this error: SuExec cannot be used to run PHP scripts in CGI or FCGId modes : The Suexec command on your system is configured to only run scripts under /var/www, but the Virtualmin virtual server home directory is /home. CGI scripts run as domain owners will not be executed.

Or are these possible solutions:

Virtualmin on Centos 8 not working - multiple PHP issues In this node, he says he had to enable certain modules on centOS. I ran a minimal install with zero extras. Could that be my issue? and if so, what re those modules.

Fix: VirtualMin Suexec command configured to run under /var/www

The Suexec command on your system is configured to only run scripts under /var/www, but the Virtualmin base directory is /home. CGI and PHP scripts run as domain owners will not be executed.

To resolve this you will have to recompile apache with /home as a base directory for mod_suexec module. Or, mount /var/www as mount if you want to keep the configuration unchanged.

An alternate solution is to disable “Automatic SuExec directive” under VirtualMin’s System Settings → Server Template.

This should resolve the issue.
How do I “recompile apache with /home as a base directory for mod_suexec module”?

Suexec command on your system is configured to only run scripts under /var/www Virtualmin – Suexec command on your system is configured to only run scripts under /var/www – scunster.co.uk (Are the files i may need to edit located in a different folder now, i noticed there is no Apache2 folder)

We don’t use suexec on CentOS 8. That’s not an error, it’s just informational. And you don’t have to do anything. Presumably the config check ended with “Your system is ready”, right?

The only PHP execution mode we support on CentOS 8 is PHP-FPM.

CentOS has never put Apache files in an apache2 folder. That’s Debian and Ubuntu. CentOS apache configuration lives in /etc/httpd.

1 Like

Thank you!

New question, Is my xfinity/router/gateway WAN ip supposed to be same exact number of my CentOS server’s public ip?

If you have one public IP, it should be configured as the public IP in Virtualmin (the one it uses for DNS records…you should not change the IP of your CentOS server to the same as the router…that’s not possible, only one device can have that IP and it has to be the router in this scenario…the router than provides NAT to direct traffic to your internal server).

1 Like

I logged in to my xfinity account and got a WAN ip address, and found out it was the same number as when i ran the command “wget http://ipecho.net/plain -O - -q ; echo” on my centos console. Is this correct that this is the case? (i’m having trouble deciphering from your response)

Is this “Error - Perl Execution failed” something i have to fix? Is it because of my wonky network settings.

No, that one’s not your fault or your network’s fault. That’s a bug. If you search for “can_domain_dnsssec” in the forum, you’ll find several discussions and a patch to fix it. It’s fixed in the next release. I’m not sure what we’re waiting on for a new release, I’d thought we were doing one on Tuesday, but so far I haven’t heard from Ilia or Jamie that it’s ready. I guess they found more bugs.

Cool! amazing software. I’m extremely grateful for opensource and this project.

I feel like some of my problems may come from trying to configure the DNS, along with the web server.

So, i point my domain’s A records to my Gateway’s WAN (i found by logging into xfinity), and also point to the WAN virtualmin’s public IP (one used for dns Records, which is the “Default IP address for DNS records” option which is located in “virtualmin config > Networking Settings”)

Or under “Server Config > Change IP address” possibly

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.