suexec configured to run under /var/www ...

ok, I dont want to sound stupid, but how do I install apache packages from your repository ? I thought that is what I have been doing by installing the apache module via the "webmin" -> "webmin configuration" -> "webmin modules: -> "standard module from www.webmin.com

but doing that has had no positive consiquence on the outcome.

how do I get this thing working the right way ? How do i correctly install all the apache modules from the virtualmin repository ?

Ahh, that installs the Webmin Apache module (which is a piece of Perl code to assist in managing Apache), rather than the actual system Apache package.

What distribution are you using?

Sometimes, it’s as simple as logging in from the command line, and typing “yum install httpd” or “apt-get install apache2”.
-Eric

If your system is not yet in production, and it is one of our supported systems, I would strongly recommend you use our automated install script found on the Download page here at Virtualmin.com. It sounds like a manual installation is probably not going to be your idea of a good time (it isn’t my idea of a good time, and I’ve done it dozens of times, and understand how it all works).

Virtualmin Theme version: 6.7
Virtualmin version: 3.66
Operating system: Redhat Linux Fedora 9

I would love to use a install script but I am using fedora core 9

[root@seatechproducts craig]# yum install httpd
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Package httpd-2.2.8-3.i386 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

Well, as an FYI, this stuff you’re running into is all corrected when using a distribution that works with the install script :slight_smile:

Fedora has a short life cycle, and doesn’t go hand in hand well for server use… I would highly suggest looking into using an alternate distribution, that’ll make your life much easier :slight_smile:

You’re not seeing the Virtualmin software repository, because you’re missing the virtualmin.repo file that points to software.virtualmin.com/gpl/ – but that’s something you can add manually.

You’re getting the above SELinux errors because SELinux was never disabled. You can manually disable that in /etc/selinux/config, and then reboot.
-Eric

You're not seeing the Virtualmin software repository, because you're missing the virtualmin.repo file that points to software.virtualmin.com/gpl/ -- but that's something you can add manually.

The virtualmin-universal repository is something he can add manually (and should), but it won’t help him with Apache. We only provide Apache on supported operating systems…and Fedora 9 isn’t a supported system for Virtualmin GPL (it is for Professional, but we still strongly discourage use of Fedora on servers).

Apache will need to be rebuilt, if you want to use suexec. Docs for that process have been posted here in the forums a few times, and I can help you find it if you don’t have any luck searching for those threads.

Gah! Yeah, Joe’s right… my bad, I completely didn’t think about the lack of Virtualmin packages for Apache :slight_smile:

So yeah, that’s another reason to consider a supported distro :wink:
-Eric

andreychek wrote:

Well, as an FYI, this stuff you're running into is all corrected when using a distribution that works with the install script :-)

I ran into this problem today with the latest Virtualmin install script and a fresh install of Debian Etch.

Yikes, see, that shouldn’t happen! :slight_smile:

Are you sure it’s Etch you have there, and not Lenny?

Some folks had Etch inadvertently upgrade to Lenny, which caused the wrong packages to get pulled in.
-Eric

Yup, it’s Etch and not Lenny.

Try the following:

apt-get install apache2

For some reason, apt-get won’t upgrade to our package during the script run sometimes. I don’t know why. But, the lenny version of install.sh won’t need to install a custom apache2, so it can’t possibly go wrong (I hope).

That did it, Joe. Thanks! I ran aptitude install apache2, was told that it was broken and proceeded to install it. Re-check Config checks out fine after re-enabling SuExec.

My problem is I have several things already running under var/www what am I supposed to do? Tell all my users oh sorry need to scrap evewrything and reinstall because virtualmin has to be in /home and refuses to use var/www.

Why is it not possible to just tell virtualmin to use what is currently setup?

Why is it not possible to just tell virtualmin to use what is currently setup?

You can, in System Settings -> Module Config -> Defaults for new domains – you can set whatever home directory you want in there, including /var/www.

The problem you’ll run into is with suexec specifically. It has to be compiled with a path for which it will run. The suexec distributed with Virtualmin is compiled for /home.

So it’s no problem if you want to use /var/www, but you’ll need to either:

1. Disable suexec (in System Settings -> Server Templates -> Default Template -> Apache Website, "Automatically add appropriate SuExec directive".

2. Don’t use Virtualmin’s Apache packages, using the ones included with your distro instead

3. Compile suexec manually, pointing suexec to the location of your choice

From the sounds of it Installing virtualmin at this stage would be more trouble then it’s worth. If I had a blank server I hadn’t yet installed anything on it’d be no problem to then set everything else up in home. Since Virtualmin has to do things differently I won’t in all likelyhood be using it unfortunately.

Since Virtualmin has to do things differently

Eric just explained that that is not true. I’m not sure how you could have interpreted his advice as being “Virtualmin has to do things differently”. Virtualmin is nothing if not flexible.

But, you do what you have to do. :wink:

Seem to be going down a dead end. And I need to get things working right. So I will to my back up server. CGI because of the suexec problems are already on that server anyway. My plan.

Backup all domains locally
reinstall the OS .
download the install script and start there as the installation via apt-get dose not work on this server.

script failed, incorrectly reported os

did find out what file the chouser script was looking at and it is as fallows

/etc/issue Debian GNU?Linux stable \n \l

next I used

apt-get install virtualmin-base

Now installing.

Shanta

Seem to be going down a dead end. And I need to get things working right. So I will to my back up server. CGI because of the suexec problems are already on that server anyway. My plan.

Backup all domains locally
reinstall the OS .
download the install script and start there as the installation via apt-get dose not work on this server.

script failed, incorrectly reported os

did find out what file the chouser script was looking at and it is as fallows

/etc/issue Debian GNU?Linux stable \n \l

next I used

apt-get install virtualmin-base

Now installing.

Shanta