Sub domain issues... how to actually sey it up?

I have to admit, i am a noob at this, and hopefully someone could correct me or show me what im doing wrong here.

Basically i cant seem to get the subdomains working :frowning:

lets assume the domain name i have registered is bob.com, and my vps server ip addresses are 100.100.100.1 & 100.100.100.2…

First of all, i did a normal virtualmin install on the vps (running CentOS 5)… seems to work all fine.

Secondly, i registered bob.com using godaddy. then i simply followed little guide (http://www.hostgator.com/godaddy.shtml) and linked ns1.bob.com and ns2.bob.com to 100.100.100.1 and 100.100.100.2…

So im assuming i have set the nameservers up correctly?

then again i went to godaddy domain manager and set the nameservers for bob.com to be <ns1.bob.com and ns2.bob.com>…

logged back into virtualmin on my vps, and created new “virtual server” for bob.com. used ftp to connect to bob.com and uploaded a test page, and is now visible through the browser. so that all seems to work fine.

Now im assuming since i have defined the nameservers for the bob.com aleady, all i need to do to get test.bob.com is to simply create a new virtual server on virtualmin, select the “sub server” option, set the domain name to test.bob.com, leave all the settings at default and let virtualmin do its magic.

well, i did that, but now when i try to use the browser to navigate to test.bob.com it tells me … using http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/ on bob.com tells me its all good (name servers seem to be fine). but using the same site to check test.bob.com shows that it found the correct name server for bob.com but when it asks ns1.bob.com for test.bob.com it returns “Domain exists but there is no such record”…

what am i doing wrong here? O.o

also, assuming this can be fixed, then how do i connect to ftp? using “test.bob.com” as the ftp address?

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Howdy,

Yeah, in theory, it’s all as easy as you suggested :slight_smile: You definitely seem to be on the right track.

Are you certain that for the bob.com domain, that the nameservers are set to use ns1.bob.com and ns2.bob.com?

I know you said you setup nameservers, but you may want to verify that those are the ones in use.

Also, while this should be done automatically, you may want to try restarting BIND on your server, just in case that’s all it is.

-Eric

yeah, the name servers seem to be correct for bob.com. if i do a whois on bob.com i do get the desired name servers ns1.bob.com and ns2.bob.com

i did follow that small guide (linked earlier) to create/register name servers in godaddy.

just logged into godaddy and navigated under my domain (bob.com). and it shows:

Host Summary (add)
NS1 delete edit
NS2 delete edit
1 to 2 of 2

and also the name servers:
Nameservers: (Last Update 6/7/2010)
NS1.BOB.COM
NS2.BOB.COM

so all seems to be correct i think?

do i need to somehow create the sub domains inside godaddy or somewhere and define the name servers to these sub domains separately as well?

im just really confused now. and is there any other settings i need to change when creating the sub domain virtual server on virtual min besides selecting the sub-server option and leaving everything else to default?

also, just to add, the bob.com domain is functional. ftp is functional and website and pages are functional. however i cannot use www.bob.com (http://www.bob.com) and i have no idea why this is the case either. i have to use bob.com (http://bob.com)

could this be somehow the cause?

www.bob.com is in fact a sub domain as well. the zone file mat not have an A record for it or it needs to propagate still.
You’ll also should check your zone file for test.bob.com to see if it contains all the records.
Then check if you can ping the domain.

where might i find this zone file, and what should it look like?

i think this has been an issue at my isp’s end… i have gotten a friend to ping this test.bob.com and www.bob.com and both websites are fully functional for him…

siigh, stupid isp’s taking the whole 48 hours to update the dns records… :S

it can actually take up to 72 hours to fully propagate a domain on the root servers around the world.
it is the cache recycling that can take time.