Strange backup problem - Interrupted system call

Guys,

When virtualmin runs its sheduled backup I get an email back with this error:

Failed to connect to FTP server : Failed to connect to *my ftp ip:21 : Interrupted system call Backup failed! See the progress output above for the reason why. Total backup time was 01 minutes, 00 seconds.

Any ideas what is happening here?

i have this issue too…

Hi,

This has just started on my server, nearly all backups fail. But the odd one still works. Its been happening now for about 2 weeks, can’t think of anything thats changed.

Does anyone know what I can look for or change to get my backups running again.

Thanks.

Howdy,

Are you by chance seeing any error messages on the FTP server? And what happens if you fire up an FTP client on your desktop, are you able to use that to upload files to your FTP server?

Also, do you have “Transfer each virtual server after it is backed up” set in the backup options?

Lastly, how much RAM is in your system? You can determine that by running “free -m”.

I’m not sure what the issue is, I’ve never heard of anything like that happening… but maybe the above questions will offer some clues.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I’ve not been able to get chance to look at the logs yet on the FTP server, will try and get across this week to have a look, only have access to the FTP from here.

From my desktop, and by using ftp commands via ssh on the server running Virtualmin I am able to upload and download from the FTP server without any problems.

No, “Transfer each virtual server after it is backed up” is not ticked. The backup that runs every night just backs up the mySQL databases, so it is just on “Single archive file”. But the other backup runs weekly that backs up everything does have this ticked and is on the new file format.

RAM:
free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2048 1257 790 0 0 0
-/+ buffers/cache: 1257 790
Swap: 0 0 0

When I was running a manual backup yesterday, I had the same “Interrupted system call” error the first time, then when I tried to run the backup again it ran ok.

Thanks
Tim

@XB23 @timpea were you able to find a solution to this issue?

Thanks,

Varun