Strange and non logic error Message about Apache2

Gentoo Base System release 2.2

apache2 up to date & working with all its modules.
BUT virtualmin produces this unlogical error.

Apache configuration errors were found :

* Checking apache2 configuration ... [ ok ]

… your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin.

Howdy,

Hmm, that is a bit of an odd error.

Are you able to start Apache from the command line? I’m curious if there’s an error occurring of some kind, or if Virtualmin is just having trouble interacting with Apache.

-Eric

hostname:apache2 # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

• Stopping apache2 … [ ok ]
  • Starting apache2 … [ ok ]
    hostname: apache2 #

so no problem , and the error log :

[Wed Nov 12 20:15:41 2014] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Wed Nov 12 20:15:42 2014] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)
[Wed Nov 12 20:15:44 2014] [notice] Apache/2.2.27 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.27 OpenSSL/1.0.1j PHP/5.5.18-pl0-gentoo configured – resuming normal operations
[Wed Nov 12 22:23:10 2014] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Wed Nov 12 22:23:12 2014] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)
[Wed Nov 12 22:23:14 2014] [notice] Apache/2.2.27 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.27 OpenSSL/1.0.1j PHP/5.5.18-pl0-gentoo configured – resuming normal operations

As you can see does not produce any error or warning message.

Howdy,

I suspect you’re seeing some configuration issues that are specific to Gentoo (note that we recommend CentOS, Ubuntu, or Debian).

However, digging down into that problem you’re seeing – as I look at the Virtualmin code, it appears that error is thrown when Virtualmin runs the Apache command to test the config, and it returns an error of some kind.

If you look in Webmin -> Servers -> Apache -> Module Config -> System Config, you may want to verify the various options you see there.

In particular though, what is “Path to the apachectl command” set to? If that’s set to an invalid path, it’s possible that could cause that part to fail.

Also, if you go into Virtualmin -> System Settings -> Re-Check Config, does it detect any problems?

-Eric