SSH Access to Website

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 18.04.6
Webmin version version 2.105
Virtualmin version 7.10.0 Pro
Related packages SUGGESTED

Hello… I would like to use rsync to upload files to one of my virtual domains so that I can syncronize the images with another website. I’ve set up an SSH user on the destination domain, and I can log in to the subdirectory I’d like to upload the images to… but when I try to use rsync it says access not permitted.

What am I doing wrong here?

Dan Lewis

Not all users have shell access. Mostly by default I think it is restricted to ‘account’ owners. The default user you create.

First. Can you manually ssh to the account from the machine you get the rsync failure from.

Check /etc/password to make sure the user you created has shell access.

/usr/sbin/nologin
/bin/false
/bin/bash

When you say “log in”, what do you mean? (I mean, ssh or Webmin or FTP?)

I have never been able to rsync files with any user but root.

I would set ssh back to not allow root login as soon as I was finished.

I think there are ways to create a rsync user in both servers with write permission to source and destination folders to avoid using root.

Maybe someone will explain better.

You have setup the daemon correctly

You don’t need the rsync daemon. rsync works fine over ssh.

1 Like

Keys are your friend.

Yes I agree!

I have them set up for all users but I still set SSH to not allow login by root.

I have a sudo user not root I use (with keys) for most everything. That user set in both servers I could not rsynk. So if I have huge files I will transfer manually with root and switch back off. I’m sure there is a better way. rsynk commands mess with my dyslexia anyway. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Really, I didn’t know that, I always used a daemon

Hello Joe… I created a new user on the domain and I can use Putty to open up the location. It created a user with the domain name and it’s created that user under /home/domain/home/username

I can upload files, make directories and so forth within that directory. I can then navigate the the /home/domain/public_html/(directory) that I want, but I can’t create any directories or upload any files. It appears to be read only. I’m thinking this has to do with some rights assignments I’m missing to make the directory under public_html writable.

Is there a way I can make this work?

Dan Lewis

Additional users in the domain share a group with the domain, but not the same user. So, the public_html directory would need to be writable by the group for a user with a different UID (but the same GID) to write to it. There are some security implications to making that change, but if all users in the domain are trusted to have write access to the website, you should be fine.

You can alternatively create an FTP user (and allow them to also use ssh), in the Edit Users page, which I believe will share a UID with the domain owner user. I need to look at how things have changed, as I don’t actually know what all the user types do now, after Ilia renamed them all. (I’m sure it’s less confusing than it was before, at least I hope so, but I knew what the old ones meant and don’t know what the new ones mean.)