Spamassassin Whitelist

I am getting low scoring spams because they say they are coming from me (USER_IN_WHITELIST)
Virtualmin->Server Configuration->Spam and Virus Delivery
Always allow mail from mailboxes in domain? YES
Seems to be setting ‘whitelist_from’ in /etc/webmin/virtual-server/spam/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/virtualmin.cf
Setting ‘Always allow mail from mailboxes in domain?’ to NO did not seem to remove the entries though, bug?

Shouldn’t we be using whitelist_from_rcvd or whitelist_auth or whitelist_from_spf instead of whitelist_from ?

whitelist_auth requires Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugins::SPF
The only whitelisting entry required would be
whitelist_auth *@YOURDOMAIN.com

whitelist_from_rcvd requires that "internal_networks" be correct (/etc/spamassassin/local.cf)
The only whitelisting entry required would be
whitelist_from_rcvd *@YOURDOMAIN.com YOURDOMAIN.com

I’m going to try and manually remove all whitelist_from entries from the virtualmin.cf and add the above whitelist_from_rcvd line to my /etc/spamassassin/local.cf file. I’ll report the results back later.

It may also be a good idea to re-weigh the USER_IN_WHITELIST score to about -15 (default is -100)

After the admittedly small sample of 24 hours of mail traffic this seems to have worked perfectly. No mail is coming to me or my users spoofed as ourselves now.

The steps are (all manual edits, I can’t find them within Webmin):

• Append your local IP Addresses to the ‘trusted_networks’ line in /etc/spamassassin/local.cf
  • Add the line ‘whitelist_from_rcvd *@YOURDOMAIN.com YOURDOMAIN.com’ to either the above file or the following one. (Someone care to comment on which one in what cases? I’m new here.)
  • Remove your local users entries that appear as ‘whitelist_from’ in /etc/webmin/virtual-server/spam/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/virtualmin.cf (where xxxxxxxxxxxxx is your site’s directory, have to look through them).

Joe,
I don’t see an option for Spamassassin to ‘Edit Config Files’ and I also can’t find a field for ‘internal_networks’ or ‘trusted_networks’
-Wishlist?

And re-setting ‘Always allow mail from mailboxes in domain?’ to NO did not seem to remove the local user’s ‘whitelist_from’ entries.
-Bug?

One other thing, I did not re-weigh the USER_IN_WHITELIST score. There doesn’t seem to be any need to so with this fix in place.

Now my users can send each other off-color jokes I guess . . .

Joe, any fields available or planned to make entering custom Spamassassin scores easier?