Spamassassin not running?

Hi,

I have spamassassin installed and enabled for domain in Virtualmin. However, spam is not recognized as spam and mail senders I add to the blacklist are still able to sent me spam.

Is there a way to see if spamassassin is running?

I can see SpamAsassin is up & running in Bootup and Shutdown. ClamAV is disablad, is ClamAV the one I need to turn on?

Howdy,

You can tell if SpamAssassin is running using the following command:

ps auxw | grep spamd

Also, if you look at the email headers for email received by your domain – you should see the headers X-Spam-Checker-Version, X-Spam-Level, and X-Spam-Status is SpamAssassin is working. It will add those headers to each incoming email.

-Eric

Hi, there are no headers in the e-mails.

If I run your command, this is the return:

root 17788 0.0 4.9 119136 50548 ? Ss 08:08 0:02 /usr/sbin/spam --create-prefs --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir -d --pidfile=/var/run/spamd.p id
root 17798 0.0 4.7 119136 48776 ? S 08:08 0:00 spamd child
root 17799 0.0 4.7 119136 48772 ? S 08:08 0:00 spamd child
root 19558 0.0 0.0 9388 896 pts/0 S+ 08:46 0:00 grep --color=au

Is that good? So it has nothing to do with ClamAV disabled?

I mean, no x-spam headers of course. There are lot of other headers.

Howdy,

It does appear that SpamAssassin is running. Also, it doesn’t matter at all that ClamAV is not running.

What distro/version is it that you’re using?

Also, if you go into System Settings -> Re-Check Config, does it detect any problems?

-Eric
`

Hi,

I`m on Ubuntu and using virtualmin 4.09 gpl.

Re-check config does not detect problems. But what I did figure out today is that under my virtualserver properties I only had spam filtering enabled for the subservers. But the mainserver which is the mailserver had this disabled. Could that be it?

I enabled it now and will check again.

Howdy,

Yup, that could indeed cause the problem! Let us know if your change helps with the problem you’re seeing. Thanks!

-Eric

Hi,

Thanks! It is working now :slight_smile: Indeed had to do with the mainserver not having spamassassin enabled.