Spamassassin is scoring for dnsrbl.org all of a sudden, even when not on the DB

Very strange, but the past week or so myself and customers have started to have loads of emails go into to spam.

I set spamassassin to check various databases including dnsbl.sorbs.net and dnsrbl.org

Gmail’s IP has recently gone into sorbs so no Gmail was accepted. I reduced the score.

But ALL of my server incoming emails have a score for dnsrbl.org all of a sudden. My server has worked for years, then all of a sudden we have a score for this DB even though when I check the IP it is not listed on dnsrbl.org.
4.0 RCVD_IN_RBL_DNS RBL: Entries listed in dnsrbl.org RBL

I have had to change the dnsrbl.org score to 0.

Anyone have any idea why this may be, could it be a server issue, or could it be an issue at dnsrbl.org returning a false positive?

Thanks

what os are you in? what versions you use? - thanks.

A more relevant question would be why you are using a list like dnsrbl.org? sorbs is bad enough, but it’s at least semi reputable, whilst dnsrbl shows up as malicious on Google according to my searches.
Truth be told I never even heard of it before just now.

Use zen.spamhaus.org, b.barracudacentral.org.
There is one more that I use, from a very solid email provider, I just don’t remember the full address of the list now. Will update tomorrow.

It’s just from research of how to improve spamassassin. It’s a minefield. Without a custom local conf file spamassassin is terrible. I spent a while reasearching other blogs for other people’s recommendations and ended up with a list of databases to check. I have no way to know if a database is good or bad.

Looks like dnsrbl.org has closed down anyway.

That’s probably the problem!

It’s Centos 6

True, that’s why I don’t use SA locally on my Virtualmin server.
I have a cluster of spamfilters using Proxmox Mail Gateway setup to handle incoming and outgoing emails.
It’s sweet.

The other list I mentioned is bl.mxrbl.com, ran by the folks behind mxroute.com (amazing Jarland from LET).

Oh. Considered an upgrade, since it’s been EOL for close to a year now?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.