Spamassassin install/configuration?

Operating system: CentOS Linux
OS version: 7.9.2009

Hello Community!

I’ve recently been upgraded to CentOS 7.9.2009 and Spamassassin is not installed on the server; it was on my previous CentOS 6 server and I would like to have it again for the upgraded server.

Can anyone please recommend a good tutorial on installing/configuring Spamassassin? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

See

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/email/spam-av

Hi @calport, thank you!

In the section for CentOS, where it says

serverip is the IP address of the system that will be running spamd , and virtualminip is the IP of the Virtualmin machine.

in my case, the virtualmin sites are using the same ip as the server, do I set the -A option to the ip address of the server as well?

Thank you.

That means you chose a --minimal installation, which excludes ClamAV and SpamAssassin, on the assumption that your system is small and not big enough to handle being a full-featured mail server. Maybe that was a mistake, and just starting over with the right install type for your needs is easier?

Or you can probably switch by doing:

# yum groupinstall "Virtualmin LAMP Stack"
# virtualmin config-system --bundle LAMP

Maybe. Don’t do that if your system is already in production and has had any customization, though.

Edit: This will convert the system to a full installation (including ClamAV, more stats, etc.). So, if you’re on a memory-limited system, this isn’t appropriate, but running mail at all on a small memory system isn’t appropriate.

1 Like

Or you could just install the spamassassin package(s) and run:

# virtualmin config-system --include spamassassin

I don’t know for sure if that’ll do everything necessary. You’d need to test it.

1 Like

Hi @Joe,

Hmm I’m not sure if it was a minimal installation or not. My hosting company upgraded the server, more like migrated from CentOS6 to 7.9.2009. It does have ClamAV however.

When they did the install, the system had 12GB of memory, the same amount as the server I was on before: CentOS 6 with ClamAV, spamassassin. I’m not sure then why they would of chosen a minimal installation… not unless 12GB of memory is not sufficient enough for CentOS 7.9.2009.

Speaking of memory though, I’ve actually recently been upgraded to 32GB on my request.

Do you recommend I contact them on installing SpamAssassin incase of anything that may have been customized unbeknownst to me?

Or…

If I’m on a minimal installation, now that I have 32GB of memory, should I go ahead and do:

# yum groupinstall "Virtualmin LAMP Stack"
# virtualmin config-system --bundle LAMP

Thank you for your insight!

Oh, lordy. If you don’t know how they installed, and it doesn’t look like a normal and complete Virtualmin installation, you may have a mess. There is no mode of the installer that results in ClamAV but not SpamAssassin, so they did something unusual or the installation didn’t finish and they just assumed it did.

Go ahead and try those two commands, and if both complete without error, then you’re probably OK.

Edit: 12GB of RAM is plenty. --minimal is for sub-1GB devices or devices that won’t be providing mail services (beyond outgoing from apps).

Hi @Joe,

Hmm. Looks like they may have done something unusual then.

Before I continue with those two commands, I thought I’d ask if running those two commands would be okay, even with having a couple of virtualmin sites already set up and going?

Asking incase anything or everything gets reset by running those commands.

Thank you! Really appreciate this!

“Anything”, yes. “Everything”, no.

It won’t mess with your sites, but if you have custom configuration at the service level it might alter it.

I won’t say it’s “safe” in the sense that there’s no way for it to mess something up, but it’s probably not particularly dangerous. It is probably safer than the state you’re in now, which is a total mystery and some things are confirmed broken. Might be better to lean into breaking things now so they don’t bite you hard later.

Hi @Joe,

I contacted my hosting company and yes it was a minimal install. This seems to explain a lot now.

By default, is virtualmin/webmin installed minimally?

Thank you.

This is covered by the install docs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.