Spamassassin 3.4.4 on CentOS 7.9

This worked for me. YMMV.

wget https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/34/Everything/source/tree/Packages/s/spamassassin-3.4.4-8.fc34.src.rpm

yum install rpm-build openssl-devel gcc make perl-Geo-IP perl-Mail-SPF perl-Net-CIDR-Lite

yum update perl

yum install perl-Test-Simple perl-generators perl-Digest-SHA1 perl-Test-Simple perl-BSD-Resource

rpmbuild --rebuild spamassassin-3.4.4-8.fc34.src.rpm

rpm -Uvh /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/spamassassin-3.4.4-8.el7.x86_64.rpm

systemctl restart spamassassin

Seems to work, and recognized by Webmin.

I have no idea whether the Web GUI will properly interact with the new installation because I never use it anyway. Spamassassin is one of those things that I’m in the habit of doing from the shell. But it does at least recognize it.

Richard

I spent some time clicking around in the GUI, and everything seems to work. At least everything I manually entered into the configuration is still there.

Maybe I should start using the GUI. It’s pretty nicely-done.

Richard

Operating system CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Webmin version 1.973 Usermin version 1.823
Virtualmin version 6.15 Authentic theme version 19.73

Is this manual updating of spamassassin a requirement following these error messages I’ve been receiving by email:

channel: no ‘mirrors.sought.rules.yerp.org’ record found, channel failed
16-Mar-2021 04:52:37: SpamAssassin: Update available, but download or extract failed

I see that this mirror is discontinued - SpamAssassin fails to update on a Plesk server: no 'mirrors.sought.rules.yerp.org' record found, channel failed – Plesk Help Center

I’m not sure if this is a Virtualmin issue or something that will get resolved in a future CentOS 7 update,

It’s a distro issue, not a panel issue. CentOS 7 repos don’t provide a current SpamAssassin version, and

"On March 1, 2020, we will stop publishing rulesets with SHA-1 checksums. If you do not update to 3.4.2 or later, you will be stuck at the last ruleset with SHA-1 checksums.

Reference.

Note that I didn’t test the above on cPanel or Plesk. It seems to be working fine on CentOS 7.9 with Virtualmin for me. YMMV. Try it at your own risk.

Richard

Thanks Richard,

I’ve just seen that the issue has recently been raised at Red Hat Bugzilla. A change is under consideration for RHEL8, I may wait to see if RHEL7/CentOS 7 gets similar.

My pleasure.

I get the importance of stability; but when something simply doesn’t work anymore, not updating it for the sake of stability is kind of stupid and self-defeating.

One thing panel maintainers might be able to do (and I don’t know because I haven’t tried it) is repackage the rulesets for the older versions. But it really shouldn’t be necessary, probably is inadvisable, and may not even be legal to do that.

Richard

So, it appears that although the issue with spamassassin not updating due to the use of an outdated mirror is fixed in RHEL 8, it will not be fixed in RHEL 7.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1938433

I’ll look at applying the workaround by RJM_Web_Design

There was a new release of Spamassassin on 2021-03-24, v3.4.5 and as such some of the commands given in the OP are no longer valid. Revised commands for this new release are:

wget https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/34/Everything/source/tree/Packages/s/spamassassin-3.4.5-1.fc34.src.rpm

yum install rpm-build openssl-devel gcc make perl-Geo-IP perl-Mail-SPF perl-Net-CIDR-Lite

yum update perl

yum install perl-Test-Simple perl-generators perl-Digest-SHA1 perl-Test-Simple perl-BSD-Resource

rpmbuild --rebuild spamassassin-3.4.5-1.fc34.src.rpm

rpm -Uvh /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/spamassassin-3.4.5-1.el7.x86_64.rpm

systemctl restart spamassassin
1 Like

Thanks.

Richard

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.