spam.emailarc.com

Hi,
I’ve had a Virtualmin gpl server running for several months now without any problems. (thanks for the great code) But in the last couple of days I am getting complaints that email is being bounced, here is the message:

=====================================================================

[mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@server3.MyServer.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:36 AM
To: Staci
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

This is the mail system at host server3.MyServer.com.

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to
one or more recipients. It’s attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own
text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<denise@ADomainNotHostedByMe.com> (expanded from
<denise@AVirtualDomainOnSever3.com>):
delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
spam.emailarc.com[cc]: Connection timed out

==================================================================

I have searched emailarc.com and haven’t found much on google or this site. The onlything I can tell you is emailarc.com is not an active web site. I have just updated to all the current patches, so this problem happened before the patches.

Thanks

Hmm, it looks like it may be trying to forward the message elsewhere?

If you log in over SSH, and type this command, what output to you receive:

grep emailarc.com /etc/postfix/*

I’m curious if somewhere on the line, a forward was setup in the aliases for, or even as part of the Postfix config – and that above command should help show that.
-Eric

We really need to see maillog entries. The bounce message is very rarely the whole story.

Well grep emailarc.com /etc/postfix/* returns nothing. But I have a little more information on the complaint. The bounce has only been reported by one person receiving email on one email account on the server. It may have happened only twice, its hard to say. This is a user reported error and it is quite possible the problem is with the sender.

Okay – how would you like to proceed? If it happens again, do you want to look in the email logs, and find where it’s occurring?

We could also explore this current one more, though as Joe mentioned, it may be nice to see what shows up in your /var/log/maillog or /var/log/mail.log file – and perhaps you could forward me the full bounce error that your user received.

Let us know what direction you’d like to go with that. Thanks!
-Eric