Some frustration with subdomains and 1&1

Hi I am not that clued up on DNS hence I can’t get subdomains setup and working with virtualmin. I have spent a couple of days now and have read many post here but none that are simple enough for me to understand as a non server administrator.

I have my domains with 1and1, in their control panel is an option to create a subdomain which I have. The info displays that A and MX records are created and the domain is under control of

Name server 1&1 name server
IP Address (A-Record) 1&1 IP
Mail Server (MX Record) 1&1 mail server

Domain name crm.karljacobs.co.uk
Name server 1 ns67.1and1.co.uk
Name server 2 ns68.1and1.co.uk

How exactly do I set up the sub-domain at the virtualmin end, I’ve tried top level and subsever and read much on bind and I’m confused as hell as to how to complete what I’m sure Is propably very simple.

Thanks in advance

Howdy,

Creating a sub-domain in Virtualmin is the same as creating a regular domain… except that a sub-domain takes slightly longer to type :slight_smile:

To create a sub-domain, go into “Create Virtual Server”, and rather than adding a domain name like “example.com”, put in “sub.example.com”.

That’s it!

If you want your sub-domain to belong to an existing account, after going into Create Virtual Server, you may want to click the “Sub-Server” option at the top.

-Eric

Thanks for your prompt reply, I had already tried that but now I have done it again and still not working, interestingly I cant ping it either, does this mean that the problem is with 1and1. Do I need to be using A or CNAME records?

It shouldn’t matter whether you use an A or CNAME record, so long as querying your sub-domain results in the IP address of the server it’s hosted on :slight_smile:

-Eric

Ok thankyou for your help so far, perhaps I should wait awhile incase the new subdomain name is still propergating, as I guess that’s whats stopping it from pinging as the TLD of the sub pings fine.

Ok thankyou for your help so far, perhaps I should wait awhile incase the new subdomain name is still propergating, as I guess that’s whats stopping it from pinging as the TLD of the sub pings fine.