[SOLVED] Why this after update? "Virtualmin could not work out the default IPv4 address for virtual servers on your system."

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 20.04.5
Webmin version 7.3-1

After seeing this:

“Information!
Virtualmin’s configuration has not been checked since it was last updated. Click the button below to verify it now.”

Button: "Re-check and refresh configuration.

After clicked:

All good until the last lines…

" Using network interface enp1s0f0 for virtual IPs

Virtualmin could not work out the default IPv4 address for virtual servers on your system. You will need to update either the Network interface for virtual addresses or Default virtual server IP address fields on the module configuration page

… your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin "

I’ve searched and pulled up several seemingly similar threads spanning lots of years and not found an ‘exact match.’

Thank you!

Carl

Thank you!

simple question, does your server have a ipv4 IP assigned to it?

Yes, it does, thank you. The problem is that Virtualmin seems to have stopped recognizing the configuration it’s had since the original installation back in March 2021. I’ve obfuscated the octets with ‘XXX’ below…

root@***:/etc/netplan# cat 01-netcfg.yaml

This file describes the network interfaces available on your system

For more information, see netplan(5).

network:
version: 2
renderer: networkd
ethernets:
enp2s0f0:
addresses:
- XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/29
- XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/29
- XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/29
- XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/29
- XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/29
gateway4: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
nameservers:
addresses:
- “127.0.0.1”
- “8.8.8.8”
- “8.8.4.4”

I’ve never had a issue, maybe its a Ubuntu bug. If its a bug then please report to @staff

All is now well! :slight_smile: The “Network interface for virtual addresses” under Virtualmin > System Settings > Virtualmin Configuration > Network Settings needed to be updated. I’d forgotten that this server’s mainboard / NIC was replaced last July and I found the value stored there was stale.

Thanks, stefan1959, for confirming that you’ve had no problems in this area!

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.