[SOLVED] New email not able to log on to SMTP using client

Here’s the issue…

I have all my previous email accounts setup from a previous configuration and all of them can access their appropriate emails for receiving and sending without issue.

However, if I create a new user in Virtualmin and then try to connect this user by adding a new account to my client (Outlook in this case), it can connect to receive emails (POP3) but NOT for sending (SMTP).

I have set the account details exactly as all the other accounts which work and have also tried using port 25, 465 and 587 using the appropriate encryption types but I can never connect using the client to SMTP but CAN connect to POP3.

I can, however, connect using said account via Usermin so I’m wondering, is there something I should look for in the POSTFIX setup settings?



Distro and version?

And, what’s in the mail.log/maillog when attempting to authenticate?

I’ve seen a few reports like this, but I haven’t been able to reproduce it (though I don’t have Outlook, I’ve tested with Thunderbird).

OK, I sorted it.


Open /etc/postfix/master.cf file with your favourite editor (I prefer nano). Towards the end of the file, find the line

OPTIONS="-c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd"

At the end of the line (inside the last inverted commas) add -r so the line should now read

OPTIONS="-c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r"

Save the file and restart saslauthd using the command service saslauthd restart and hopefully it should be sorted for you!

Sorry, you must have been typing that as I was typing my solution. I keep forgetting the signature doesn’t show on an initial post. GRRR! This error ONLY occurs (from what I’ve read) for emails that use the [EDIT] user@domain style as postfix can’t handle them without the -r option. See my post below. Not sure if this is something that can be implemented given it’s not an issue for any other username style.

Excellent! Thanks for following up. I’ve been trying to sort out what was going on with this, as several folks have had the issue.

I’ll make sure this is added to the default installation.

Just realised I made a boo boo in my original reply (not the solution) but this only effects user@domain styles, NOT user%domain as I said. I’ve edited the reply.

I’m also not sure if this will effect other styles if you add the -r option as part of the installation. It may be something that has to be done when setting the username style to user@domain.

Glad I could help for once :wink:

We’ve actually been setting this option for years in the default install. It’s just that I messed up in porting over the CentOS/RHEL portion, and the Debian/Ubuntu folks have seemingly changed how they run saslauthd in the meantime, so it ended up being broken.

You’re right that it only affects user@domain.tld addresses, but it also doesn’t break other formats to enable the option.

Note that the user@domain.tld format may cause problems with some software…there may be cases where you have to use the alternate form of the name that Virtuamin sets up for you (user-domain.tld) if you find you have trouble using the name with an @. Virtualmin and Webmin and Usermin fully support it (though with Usermin, you can actually just login with the username, with no domain, since Usermin can pull the domain from the URL where you’re logging in), but some old stuff may not.

Edit: Also, virtualmin-config 6.0.21 fixes this on new installations, and folks can run it again to fix it with: virtualmin config-system --include SASL after updating to the new version.

Ah. So that was the quick fix that came out today :wink: Nice work!