[SOLVED]How to upgrade Virtualmin PHP7 to PHP7.1/7.2/7.3 on Ubuntu

Howdy,

I’m using Virtualmin for the past 3 years. Recently I noticed some of my web applications requesting to change the PHP version to 7.1.

VERSIONS

ubuntu14.04
Webmin 1.900
Current PHP version: 7.0.3

PROBLEM

I installed PHP 7.1/7.2/7.3 following this tutorial (https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/web/multiplephp).
Eg: codes to install PHP7.1 :
sudo apt-get install php7.1 php7.1-cli php7.1-common php7.1-json php7.1-opcache
php7.1-mysql php7.1-mbstring php7.1-mcrypt php7.1-zip php7.1-fpm

Results of clicking “System Settings -> Re-Check Config” as follows
The following PHP versions are available : 5.5.9 (/usr/bin/php5-cgi), 5.6.39 (/usr/bin/php-cgi5.6),
7.0.33 (/usr/bin/php-cgi7.0), 7.1.25 (/usr/bin/php7.1), 7.2.13 (/usr/bin/php7.2),
7.3.0 (/usr/bin/php7.3), 5.5 (mod_php)

I created a subdomain and created index.php file with phpinfo <?php phpinfo(); ?>

Phpinfo works fine with PHP 5.6 and PHP 7.0.3.
But when I change it to PHP 7.1 or above from “Server config -> PHP version”, it shows 500 internal server error.

APACHE ERROR LOG

With Maximum PHP script runtime: 30 Seconds

1. With FCGId:
    [fcgid:warn] [pid 16450] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client ...:2875]
    mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server
    [core:error] [pid 16895] [client ...:2876]
    End of script output before headers: index.php

2. With CGI:
    [cgi:error] [pid 15079] [client ...:2873]
    End of script output before headers: php7.1.cgi

I would really appreciate if someone helps me out to figure out my mistake.

Thank you.
Regards

I don’t use Virtualmin’s PHP version management so proceed carefully and be prepared to back track if necessary…

I edit each www.conf and change it to listen on a port. For example:

/etc/php/5.6/fpm/pool.d/www.conf /etc/php/7.0/fpm/pool.d/www.conf /etc/php/7.1/fpm/pool.d/www.conf /etc/php/7.2/fpm/pool.d/www.conf /etc/php/7.3/fpm/pool.d/www.conf

Change the listen statement as appropriate. Use a port that fits in with whatever 5.6 and 7.0 are using (should be different ports).

;listen = /run/php/php7.3-fpm.sock
listen = localhost:8073

Restart phpX.X-fpm services.

Your apache/nginx config file for each site should reference the appropriate port for the PHP version you want to use.

Thank you very much for looking at the post and spending your valuable time, noisemarine. I really appreciate it.

Once again I tried to troubleshoot the problem and found out the fault. I didn’t install phpX.X-cgi. That caused the problem. Now it just works fine.

If anyone is looking for upgrading to PHP 7.1/7.2/7.2 these steps might help you.

Installing PHP 7.1/7.2 on Ubuntu 14.04

Install the PPA:
add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php && apt-get update

Install the PHP packages
apt-get install php7.1 php7.1-mysql php7.1-cgi php7.1-cli php7.1-fpm
apt-get install php7.2 php7.2-mysql php7.2-cgi php7.2-cli php7.2-fpm

Click System Settings -> Re-Check Config. You might see something like The following PHP versions are available : … 7.0.33 (/usr/bin/php-cgi7.0),
7.1.25 (/usr/bin/php7.1), 7.2.13 (/usr/bin/php7.2) …

Configure the PHP version being used for a specific Virtual Server by selecting Server Configuration -> PHP Versions.

Read this to expand your knowledge about what you are doing

1. PHP CGI: Common Gateway Interface: another way of running PHP (as opposed to an Apache module).
  2. PHP CLI: Command Line Interface: As the name implies, this is a way of using PHP in the system command line.
  3. PHP FPM: FastCGI Process Manager: is an alternative PHP FastCGI implementation with some additional features.
  4. PHP mysql: Connect to and manipulate MySQL databases.
  5. Personal Package Archives (‘PPAs’): are provided by the community. “ppa:ondrej/php” helps to install several versions of PHP.

Please point out any mistakes in feel free to suggest improvements.

Thank you
Regards