<SOLVED> Both of my domains are pointing to the same place -- I need them to be separate websites. Halp!

Ok. So clearly I’m new to virtualmin/webmin. Here is my problem:

I just set up virtualmin/webmin on a fresh CentOS5 install. I then configured a domain name (www.mydomain1.com, for example) and that works great. I have it registered through godaddy and I’ve added my nameservers there and everything works just fine, domain, mail, etc… all working.

The problem came when I tried to add a second domain to my server. I would like to be able to host multiple websites from this box. I have a single IP, if that matters.

That being said – I used virtualmin to “create virtual server” and followed the steps. Once it was finished, I tried browsing to the new domain (www.mydomain2.com) , but it points back to the same page that mydomain1.com shows. They both point to the same place, apparently. I’ve gone in to FTP and uploaded separate index pages so that I could tell the difference, yet no matter what I do, they both point to the same place when I put them in a web browser.

I checked the httpd.conf, and they are set to use different home directories for their files:
example:
mydomain1.com uses /home/mydomain1/
mydomain2.com uses /home/mydomain2/

So I’m struggling to understand why they both point to the same page. (they both bring up the page I set for mydomain1.com)

I’m sorry if this is vague… I’ll be happy to post more information if someone could help me out.

I am not sure if I can help, but i think I had the same problem.
when I created the domain and did not supply initial web site content.
If I did not do that I was getting the same as you.

what I did was edit the web pages (link on left) to provide some pages
then once that was done I uploaded my web files again.

as I say I am not sure if that will help

I deleted and re-added the virtual server for my second domain name – and I noticed that BOTH domains are set to “Default website for IP address? YES”. Neither of them gives me the option to set it to NO… I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but it seemed peculiar to me.

are you on GPL or pro versions (they may be different, I use pro)

do you get an option, Edit Web Pages, and can you choose the content style and replace ?

otherwise, sorry can’t help, you will have to wait for the experts :o)

I’m suspecting hat you are using the GPL version and the “Default website for IP address? YES”. should do what I was saying above.

I’m on GPL, yes – but I’ll look for that now – update to come

I don’t see that option. I’ve tried just uploading index.html files to each respective domain using FTP, and I’m able to do that, but they still display the same content in the browser.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong here… but I’m baffled. I’m sure this is incredibly easy for someone out there with more experience, but I just can’t seem to get it. (and to clarify, yes the index.html pages each have their own unique content)

yep, it should be easy, so I’m sure its just something simple.

can I say that the difference between the pro version and the GPL version is huge, you get so much more (and its easier) with the Pro version, so hopefully you’ll get this issue sorted and upgrade.

Well, if the GPL version will allow me to accomplish what I’m seeking, I’ll use it for a while, but probably upgrade soon. I’d like to test it out using this first though. It doesn’t sound like it’s a difficult thing to do… and I’m sure I’m just being a virtualmin noob – but I think I need to learn GPL before I try to learn pro. hah.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I can provide any additional info requested.

Howdy,

I did want to mention that, while there are certainly benefits to using the Pro version, you can do what you’re after with the GPL version. I wouldn’t recommend buying Pro just to solve this particular problem :slight_smile:

Is your Virtualmin server by chance behind a NAT router?

If so, it’s possible you’re seeing an issue where the the IP address listed for the VirtualHost block in your Apache config doesn’t match your server’s IP address (which would be an internal IP in that particular case).

Check out the FAQ section named “The wrong website shows up” available here:

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/web/troubleshooting

And then let us know if that helps :slight_smile:

-Eric

Thank you so much! I guess I was too tired to find that page last night… haha. I got it working using the documentation you linked. I really appreciate it, everyone!

Hi I know this is an old thread, but do you know what you did to correct the problem? I followed the instruction list, but I still was not able to get it right.

My thread is at https://www.virtualmin.com/node/32957