Single Control Panel URL - Multiple Servers - Slave/Master DNS

I have two separate servers in different server farms. I want users to be able to login to a virtualmin control panel and manage their account and not know/care whether their account is on server1 or server2. I want server1 to have the master DNS records and server2 to have the slave DNS records.

I am not interested in the general issues of high availability and failover. Because I backup customer data from server1 to server2 and customer data from server2 to server1, in the case that either server fails, I could do some manual DNS updating and the customer’s sites would be working again. I mention this because my needs here are very simple and I don’t want this request to get overcomplicated by HA issues.

Is there any step-by-step guide on how to do this so I don’t screw it up? I’ve read a lot of the forum postings and don’t see any clear guide on how this is done. I’ve got live customers on one of the servers, so I’m hoping there is a safe way to do this. You’ll be my hero if you can answer this! :slight_smile:

I thought I got the DNS working okay. I see correct slaves in the directory:

/var/named/chroot/var/named/slaves

on the slave server that were copied from the master.

When I try to add my first domain via Virtualmin on the slave server, I get the error:

Failed to create virtual server : Invalid master IP address : none

This is the message tmpl_eip in /usr/libexec/webmin/virtualmin-slavedns/virtual_feature.pl.

Any idea how I fix this problem?