SimpleXML

I’m trying to use SimpleXML but for some reason my script is falling over as if it can’t find it. I’ve used the ‘bleeding edge’ repo to install PHP so its running 5.2.11

on my test server (where I use Zend Server) I get ‘–enable-simplexml’ but not on the live server which is using the bleeding edge.

From phpinfo:
‘./configure’ ‘–build=i686-redhat-linux-gnu’ ‘–host=i686-redhat-linux-gnu’ ‘–target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu’ ‘–program-prefix=’ ‘–prefix=/usr’ ‘–exec-prefix=/usr’ ‘–bindir=/usr/bin’ ‘–sbindir=/usr/sbin’ ‘–sysconfdir=/etc’ ‘–datadir=/usr/share’ ‘–includedir=/usr/include’ ‘–libdir=/usr/lib’ ‘–libexecdir=/usr/libexec’ ‘–localstatedir=/var’ ‘–sharedstatedir=/usr/com’ ‘–mandir=/usr/share/man’ ‘–infodir=/usr/share/info’ ‘–cache-file=…/config.cache’ ‘–with-libdir=lib’ ‘–with-config-file-path=/etc’ ‘–with-config-file-scan-dir=/etc/php.d’ ‘–disable-debug’ ‘–with-pic’ ‘–disable-rpath’ ‘–without-pear’ ‘–with-bz2’ ‘–with-curl’ ‘–with-exec-dir=/usr/bin’ ‘–with-freetype-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-png-dir=/usr’ ‘–enable-gd-native-ttf’ ‘–without-gdbm’ ‘–with-gettext’ ‘–with-gmp’ ‘–with-iconv’ ‘–with-jpeg-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-openssl’ ‘–with-png’ ‘–with-expat-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-pcre-regex=/usr’ ‘–with-zlib’ ‘–with-layout=GNU’ ‘–enable-exif’ ‘–enable-ftp’ ‘–enable-magic-quotes’ ‘–enable-sockets’ ‘–enable-sysvsem’ ‘–enable-sysvshm’ ‘–enable-sysvmsg’ ‘–enable-track-vars’ ‘–enable-trans-sid’ ‘–enable-yp’ ‘–enable-wddx’ ‘–with-kerberos’ ‘–enable-ucd-snmp-hack’ ‘–with-unixODBC=shared,/usr’ ‘–enable-memory-limit’ ‘–enable-shmop’ ‘–enable-calendar’ ‘–enable-dbx’ ‘–enable-dio’ ‘–without-mime-magic’ ‘–without-sqlite’ ‘–with-libxml-dir=/usr’ ‘–with-xml’ ‘–with-system-tzdata’ ‘–enable-force-cgi-redirect’ ‘–enable-pcntl’ ‘–with-imap=shared’ ‘–with-imap-ssl’ ‘–enable-mbstring=shared’ ‘–enable-mbstr-enc-trans’ ‘–enable-mbregex’ ‘–with-ncurses=shared’ ‘–with-gd=shared’ ‘–enable-bcmath=shared’ ‘–enable-dba=shared’ ‘–with-db4=/usr’ ‘–with-xmlrpc=shared’ ‘–with-ldap=shared’ ‘–with-ldap-sasl’ ‘–with-mysql=shared,/usr’ ‘–with-mysqli=shared,/usr/bin/mysql_config’ ‘–enable-dom=shared’ ‘–with-dom-xslt=/usr’ ‘–with-dom-exslt=/usr’ ‘–with-pgsql=shared’ ‘–with-snmp=shared,/usr’ ‘–enable-soap=shared’ ‘–with-xsl=shared,/usr’ ‘–enable-xmlreader=shared’ ‘–enable-xmlwriter=shared’ ‘–enable-fastcgi’ ‘–enable-pdo=shared’ ‘–with-pdo-odbc=shared,unixODBC,/usr’ ‘–with-pdo-mysql=shared,/usr’ ‘–with-pdo-pgsql=shared,/usr’ ‘–with-pdo-sqlite=shared,/usr’ ‘–enable-json=shared’ ‘–enable-zip=shared’ ‘–with-readline’ ‘–enable-dbase=shared’ ‘–with-pspell=shared’ ‘–with-mcrypt=shared,/usr’ ‘–with-mhash=shared,/usr’ ‘–with-tidy=shared,/usr’ ‘–with-mssql=shared,/usr’

but it appears:

Simplexml support enabled

how do I enable it?

thanks

paul

Are you saying that your script is not working on either the live server or the test server (ie, it breaks for both the bleeding edge PHP 5.2.11 as well as the Zend PHP)? Or does that work on one of those but not the other?

-Eric

sorry it wasn’t very well explained - the script works on the test server.

Both the servers are running 5.2.11.
The test server is using Zend Server
The live server vmbleeding

Well, now that I re-read what you said, it makes perfect sense :slight_smile:

Hrm, according to the PHP Manual, SimpleXML is supposedly enabled by default.

On your live server, do you have the php-xml package installed? I’m curious if that includes support for the SImpleXML directives you’re after.

If that doesn’t help, could you run “php -i” on both your test and live servers, and attach the output as files on this forum thread?

Thanks!

-Eric

Okay… and just to be super-sure, the php-xml package didn’t help, is that correct?

-Eric

apologies - i missed that bit out -> php-xml package is installed.

Running latest 5.2.11-1.el5.vmbleed

Okay, unfortunately, it sounds like what has to happen is to beg Joe to rebuild the PHP packages in the bleed repo using the --enable-simplexml option.

For that, I’d recommend filing a support request using the Support link above.

Of course, you can always build it manually in the meantime – but it sounds like a simple case of the PHP version in the bleed repo missing an option that your app needs.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I kind of suspected that :slight_smile: but didnt want to waste too many peoples time if i was wrong!

I think that the rpm is missing from the repo - is that correct?

Thanks,

Paul

I’ve attached the two php info files.

From what I can see, the difference is in the configure command, where ‘–enable-simplexml’ appears in the Zend version but not the Vmin one?

I don’t know whether it’s a separate RPM (module) or not – but, what would need to occur is that the RPM .spec file needs to be modified to pass in the --enable-simplexml option when building PHP.

-Eric