Setup for home use?

I have webmin/usermin/virtiualmin installed all 3 of these seem perfect for my needs here at home.

I have also put in cloudmin but it seems way overkill and complex to my needs.

What I want to do is just run local vm’s not many, say 3-5 vm’s for testing os’s and stuff mby have 1 or 2 accessible online at some stage for various things.

One vm will be linux for a specific purpose of a external USB3 EXT4 hdd I use for storage on something the others would just be like freenas testing etc.

Looking at WebVirtManager may seem more suitable but went with cloudmin as it was part of the webmin set.

But I’m still struggling to work out how to setup a br0 to link to em1 as I don’t have eth1and I guess I need to use it as a DNS server with Bind9.

I do want and need to learn bind 9 anyway in webmin for virtualmin here at home with domains etc as Im going to need DNS resolution for my lan for the virtual hostnames.

So can cloudmin be suitable for home use and this scenario or am I wasting my time with this?

And where should I go to learn how to easily configure this thing for my needs as I know now how to basically configure the rest for my needs.

Howdy,

You can certainly use Cloudmin GPL for home and/or production use.

If you run the installer for that onto a dedicated server, it should be setup for you afterwards.

Cloudmin GPL will help you setup any number of VM’s onto one server.

If that’s not working properly – what distro/version are you attempting to install it onto?

For testing, I don’t always have a dedicated system for that, I perform a lot of testing on my desktop… and I do that using Virtualbox. That might be another option if you aren’t necessarily looking to setup a dedicated server and have services available.

-Eric

Yea I do testing locally in vmware etc also but want to consolidate from now on as I run multiple systems and os’s here and want my vm’s to be able to be used without hassle.

As mentioned It’s installed, but I need to setup the br0 interface manually as I don’t use eth0/1 and instead em1 for my network on Ubuntu Server.

I spent today working out how to create a DNS server I don’t know if its right virtualmin setup the enteries but I need a few manual ones for static ip’s in the DNS.

Im also looking at customizing other bits and pieces as I go.

Initially though cloudmin looked and still does like overkill as I’m not a VPS provider just a home user wanting to run a couple virtual machines locally on my network which is only like 2-3 pc’s.

But I’m taking it slowly and learning.

My interfaces file is below I was testing it on dhcp as the server is on 192.168.1.1

I think I’ll need to put the interface on static and I beleive its the start of the virtual servers range you want.

Its not showing up in a ifconfig the interface so I know its wrong atm.

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

The loopback network interface

auto lo em1 br0
iface lo inet loopback

The primary network interface

iface em1 inet dhcp

iface br1 inet dhcp

address 192.168.1.1

netmask 255.255.255.0

broadcast 192.168.1.255

network 192.168.1.0

gateway 192.168.1.254

bridge_ports em1