setting up multi-user wordpress with virtualmin

hello all - this is a strange question i understand.

my hope is to use virtualmin in a multi-user-wordpress environment. normally, the very extremely useful “alias” would work fine, but not if i want to have independent email addresses.

so, here is what i did:

1. create an ordinary virtual-server

2. manually edit (ouch) the httpd.conf file to point the website back to the MU-wordpress mothership (sorta like a borg ship) - including the public_html and the cgi-bin

3. go into website options and change “Run CGI scripts as domain owner” to no (i thought of this myself)

any thoughts or opinions? i feel like i am cheating mister virtualmin (or is it ms. virtualmin?)

" extremely useful “alias” would work fine, but not if i want to have independent email addresses."

what makes an alias with own e-mail not a viable option?

I didn’t realize this myself until recently, but “alias with own email” only allows for email aliases, not actual users.

I’ll bring that up to Jamie today during our meeting :slight_smile:

Edit Hrm, I either did it wrong, or something isn’t working right, as alias with own email should provide full accounts, not just aliases.

Give that a try, as Jamie says it should indeed do what you want – and if that doesn’t work, let us know :slight_smile:

-Eric

laying in bed thinking about this… (i could not sleep last night)

i am starting to think the best way to handle this is just to go in and DELETE the public_html and cgi-bin directories.

then create symbolic links - issue the following commands:

ln -s /home/mothership-site/public_html/ /home/child-site/public_html/ ;
ln -s /home/mothership-site/cgi-bin/ /home/child-site/cgi-bin/ ;

that way i keep virtualmin out of the loop and accomplish the same thing. also, this way when/if the child-site ever becomes a stand-alone, its far easier to un-do the virtualmin changes.

the more i think about this, the more i like it - probably because i thought of it.

my idea works:

mv    ./public_html   public_htmlRENAMED ;
mv    ./cgi-bin         cgi-binRENAMED ;
mv    ./fcgi-bin         fcgi-binRENAMED ;

ln -s   /home/mothership.com/public_html/   ./public_html ;
ln -s   /home/mothership.com/cgi-bin/        ./cgi-bin   ;
ln -s   /home/mothership.com/fcgi-bin/        ./fcgi-bin  ;

DONT FORGET go into website options and change “Run CGI scripts as domain owner” to no !