Setting up CSF in Virtualmin keep getting empty logs

Oh, that “activate at boot” . Mine is on NO.

Also I just noticed some of mine have rules there like yours and some do not. So on that page I “reset” firewall to allow all traffic, not load at boot. Then restarted CSF. Now no rules show in the linux firewall. May have been left over rules from before CSF. Hmm…

Yeah it’s definitely showing the rules added from CSF for my country level ip blocks. Still not clear on if or how they interact but I’ll leave it be for now. If you figure out anything let me know!

After some testing, the rules in “linux firewall” webmin section, do not change when changing rules in CSF. In CSF, I added, deleted changed many rules. Was no change in rules listed in webmin firewall section. Then inspected via command line.

sudo iptables -S. That lists the actual iptables active rules. And those do change when I make changes in CSF.

So it looks like the webmin firewall module is reading rules from " /etc/webmin/firewall/iptables.save". A default set of rules I guess from initial install. And then if you activate those rules, it will overwrite the active iptables rules. So I’ve “reset” the “linux firewall” on all my machines, just to tidy up. Which effectively does nothing becasue they are not active in that module since we use CSF. So leave them or blank them out, it doesn’t actually change the active rules unless you where to hit activate.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.