Seting up email accounts under virtual min - few problems.

Hi guys

I have another problem with my virtualmin installation. The documentation on the subject is very limited and following it step by step doesn’t work for me. I was unable find any other post dealing with the matter so I had to open new topic.

I have website for my business on one virtual server and as the business grows it was time for me to set up company email. I have 4 people currently working on my project and I wanted to give them email addresses with @mydomain.com. I have created the users under the domain name in virtual server, and by what the tutorial mentioned that was supposed to be it. Then using the same tutorial I have tried to configure Thunderbird to get mail from my address. Thunderbird was reporting a problem with getting the configuration from the IMAP server. Setting the ports, auth, password type etc. did not change anything,Thunderbird just wont connect.

Then from under the ‘install scripts’ I have installed the RoundCube Webmail. That installed in few seconds but I wasn’t able to log in to the email from it either.

I know this is some basic stuff for most of you guys, but it is first time ever I had to set-up email server. I have absolutely no idea what to do next or what info anyone willing to help me would need.

You have been very helpful in the past so I hope there will be someone patient who will be able to get me through this.

Kind regards

Pawel

Thunderbird wouldn’t be able to auto-get the configuration from the server, since Virtualmin doesn’t support its auto-config method yet. (@Eric/Jamie: Consider this a renewal of my feature request to add that. :wink: It’d really be very useful. I can provide more info if required.) So you need to enter the settings manually. Generally, that should be:

Protocol IMAP, hostname “mail.yourdomain.com” for incoming and outgoing, SSL “SSL/TLS” for both, with the default ports, authentication “normal password” for both.

To use SSL/TLS, Postfix possibly needs to be configured accordingly. In /etc/postfix/master.cf, the line(s) with “smtps” must be un-commented. Dovecot should do SSL out of the box.

About Roundcube not being able to connect: Check the logs in /var/log for error messages at the time when you try it. Log files depend on your distribution, for Debian/Ubuntu it’d be “syslog”, “auth.log” and “mail.log”. Anything else would be guesswork on my part.

Hey Locutus,

You are my saviour mate :slight_smile:

I can see straight away that I will have to configure the SSL/TLS then because there was nothing about that in the tutorial. I’ll report back after I have done it.

Just to clarify one thing; when Roundcube is installed on the virtual server it should automatically pick up users information? I mean those users that were set-up with email under ‘edit users’. Or does the Roundcube require extra configuring too?

Thanks again Locust!

Being a saviour feels good. :wink:

Strictly speaking, you don’t HAVE to configure SSL/TLS, but it’s recommended. You can also access IMAP and SMTP unencrypted, e.g. if on a secure LAN. But over the Internet, it’s recommended, since a) Dovecot doesn’t support encrypted authentication, and b) the email exchange itself is encoded that way.

AFAIK Roundcube CAN be configured to use its MySQL database (which it additionally uses to store user settings etc.) also as authentication backend, but it doesn’t need to be. By default, it can pick up the local Linux users, i.e. those that you create in Virtualmin, and those should be able to access their local email without problem.

To be honest, I haven’t set up Roundcube manually so far, I’ve always used Virtualmin’s installer script. :wink: But I suppose it has an installer wizard or similar. It DOES need a database, but not for authentication. Local Linux users will log in, and they get auto-created in said database then.

Right, I have uncommented the lines you have mentioned under the /etc/postfix/master.cf .
Restarted the postfix and set-up the account manually under thunderbird, and nothing…
This time though it seem like thunderbird is actually connecting to the server but then it fails on the authentication. I am using my pawel@mydomain.com address with simple password (just for tests) so I know the data I enter is correct. Should I post the master.cf file so you can see what is uncommented and what is not? Might be easier that way.

With Roundcube I get ’ Connection to storage server failed. ’ error.
When I try the same login and non-existent password I get simple login failed

Once again thanks for your help!

Which brings us back to my initial suggestion to check the logs. :slight_smile: Without that, it’s too much guesswork why authentication might fail.

As a second step you might want to check if your authentication daemon is running:

root@australis:/# ps aux | grep sasl root 6739 0.0 0.1 91788 2192 ? Ss 05:30 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r -n 5 root 6740 0.0 0.1 93068 2264 ? S 05:30 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r -n 5 root 6741 0.0 0.1 92428 2232 ? S 05:30 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r -n 5 root 6742 0.0 0.1 91788 2204 ? S 05:30 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r -n 5 root 6743 0.0 0.1 92428 2180 ? S 05:30 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r -n 5

Is it possible to take a look at your server myself? I’d need root access to your Virtualmin and shell though.

Ok, I’ll put my trust into you mate and thank you for the offer.
Can I have your email (I can’t see PM anywhere) so I can send you login details, user and pass.

Pawel

Are you maybe using some instant messenger? That would make communication while doing tests much easier.

If so, please post your user ID here, and I’ll contact you as soon as possible. Either when I’m back from dinner (which is about to be ready), or tomorrow.

I think I’ve the same problem as reported here http://www.virtualmin.com/node/24088

I wanted to propose IM myself as it makes sense - how else would I learn? :slight_smile:
I am using gtalk so here is my email: pawelkosi@gmail.com I also use Skype: pawelkosi1

That is very nice of you to offer such help.

I am myself taking my girlfriend for curry and few pints right now but we should be back within two-three hours if you still like to talk today. If not then I am available pretty much all day tomorrow so any convenient time for you will be ok with me.

Pawel

Anyone?

Well, pawelkosi’s problem actually was that he had installed Webmin and Virtualmin in a manual and somewhat incorrect way, which messed up his mail configuration.

Did you use the installer script?