Sendmail - Ubuntu 26

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 26.04
Webmin version 2.652

I’ve just upgraded my OS to Ubuntu 26 and now Webmin will not allow the use of Sendmail.
It boots up in the OS without any problem but Webmin will not allow its use.

The Webmin message is as follows:

Your sendmail config file does not appear to be for the latest Sendmail version. Webmin only supports versions 8.8 and above.

The latest version of Sendmail is 8.18.2 & therefore the version Webmin is looking for doesn’t exist. I believe this is due to a typo in its Sendmail version check.

Hello,

Thanks for the heads-up!

Webmin is checking the configuration file format, not comparing Sendmail 8.18.2 with 8.8.

Could you post the output of the commands below to confirm which program provides the sendmail command, and which configuration file Webmin is reading?

readlink -f /usr/lib/sendmail
dpkg -S "$(readlink -f /usr/lib/sendmail)"
/usr/lib/sendmail -d0.1 -bv root </dev/null 2>&1 | head -20
grep -E '^(sendmail_cf|sendmail_path)=' /etc/webmin/sendmail/config
ls -l /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
grep -nE '^[[:space:]]*V[0-9]' /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

Thanks for the reply.

I changed over to postfix and everything is working fine.
Some of the commands you posted now show postfix likely because I changed it.
Furthermore, I decided to use SMTP email so I’m no longer relying on PHP’s default email via postfix.