Samba forcing read-only access for me as admin

Hi there. I’m not even remotely an expert on these things, just running a home setup, so I’m the sole admin. So, I’ve probably done something wrong, but I don’t know what.

I set up Samba from my Webmin machine, but it’s only allowing reads, no writes. I can read and write when I log into Webmin, but it’s far more convenient to add files via Samba.

If I go to Servers > Samba Windows File Sharing, I see myself set up as the admin and with read-write access.

Is there something else I need to do to give myself access to write files to the server in Windows?

Notice in the screenshot that the directory media is set to Read-write for all known users.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Windows 11 Home 23H2 and Debian 11
Webmin version 2.105

I am not sure why you are using Samba when there is a perfectly good method of transferring files built in to Webmin see Tools -> File Manager

I haven’t used SAMBA in years, so.

Are these ‘known users’ shown in the SAMBA users section?

I do use File Manager, but Samba can be more convenient for me.

And yes, I am listed as a user in the Samba Users form.

Yes, they are.

I don’t think it’s out of the ordinary to set up a network share in Windows from a NAS. My Synology NAS, which I use as a backup to the Webmin NAS, is fully accessible in Windows for reading and writing. But I want to write to my Webmin NAS from my Windows PC without having to log into Webmin and go through File Manager. Yes, I can do that, but it’s annoying.

My only question is why I can’t write to my Webmin share.