Safe / Correct Virtual Server Owner Permissions for Redis Unix Socket

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 20.04
Webmin version 1.994
Virtualmin version 7.1-1 Pro
Related packages Redis 5.0.7

Hey folks,

I configured a redis unix socket to boost the speed of my Nextcloud installation.

Problem:
I can’t figure out the correction permissions/method for my virtual server user to safely access the redis unix socket.

If I create a new group called redis-socket and add redis and server-owner to the group and change the ownership to redis:redis-socket, this caues nextcloud to throw an internal server error due to bad permissions.

Whereas if I directly add server-owner to the redis group with redis:redis things work as expected. With major caveat being that server-owwner now has permissions on any app that the redis group also has permissions on (i.e. roundcube, wordpress, etc.)

Does anyone know how to overcome this?

Resolved.

The reason that redis:redis-socket was not working as expected is because between test and prod server, I forgot to add the redis user to the www-data group. Once I added redis user to www-data group, the unix socket worked as expected. Then to make the configuration permanent across reboots I had to edit /etc/systemd/system/redis.service and change the Group= value from redis to redis-socket

hello super fast nextcloud… :nerd_face:

Big thanks to @eric… brilliant man :face_with_monocle:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.