S3 Backup Issues

Hi there,

I am having a problem getting the backup to S3 a custom filename for the backup target. The backup works fine until I try to customize the filename (so I can have timestamped backups that don’t overwrite each other).

I am backing up one virtual server, and have set the backup "File under bucket" name as %G%m%d%H%M.tar.gz.

I have also selected "Single archive file" as the Backup format.

When I attempt to run this backup I get the following output:

Starting backup of 1 domains to Amazon S3 bucket backup.goclio.com

Creating backup for virtual server *** …

Copying virtual server configuration ..
  .. done

Backing up Cron jobs ..
  .. none defined.

Creating TAR file of home directory ..
  .. done

Saving mail aliases ..
  .. done

Saving mail and FTP users ..
  .. done

Backing up mail and FTP user Cron jobs ..
  .. none to backup

Copying Apache virtual host configuration ..
  .. done

Copying Apache log files ..
  .. done

Dumping MySQL database *** ..
  .. done

Backing up DAV users file ..
  .. done

Backing up Subversion repositories and configuration files ..
  .. done

Creating final backup archive …
… archive failed!

Backup failed! See the progress output above for the reason why.

I can’t really spot why this is failing, and the logs don’t seem to provide any further output.

Worse, when I try to re-run the backup, I get the following output:

Copying virtual server configuration …
… done

Backing up Cron jobs …
… none defined.

Creating TAR file of home directory …
… TAR failed!

Backup failed! See the progress output above for the reason why.

After getting this error mesasge, Virtualmin becomes unresponsive and needs to be restarted to start behaving properly again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Howdy,

I have three questions for you:

1. Do you have a reasonable amount of space on your primary server? You’ll need enough space to create an archive of the entire /home directory on it.

2. As your choosing the options for the backup, is "Do strftime-style time substitutions on file or directory name " checked?

3. Does it work any better if you choose "One file per server" rather than "Single archive"? You might even consider checking "Transfer each virtual server after it is backed up" as well.

Thanks,
-Eric

Hi,

1. Do you have a reasonable amount of space on your primary server? You'll need enough space to create an archive of the entire /home directory on it.

Yep, I’ve got 15GB total, 10GB free. (This is a Joyent Accelerator if that helps…)

As your choosing the options for the backup, is "Do strftime-style time substitutions on file or directory name " checked?

Yep (sorry, should have mentioned that was checked in my original post)

Does it work any better if you choose "One file per server" rather than "Single archive"? You might even consider checking "Transfer each virtual server after it is backed up" as well.

If I try specifying a filename with “One file per server” I get the error “You cannot specify a filename when backing up to multiple files on S3” (this sounds like a bug, as I’ve only got one server selected).

Hope that helps…

Jack

Well, going back to the single archive, I suppose I’m curious if it works if you don’t use any “substitute” characters.

That’s just for testing though, I’m not suggesting that as a permanent solution.

I don’t have an S3 bucket to test with, and I’m not quite sure why you’re seeing the error you are :slight_smile:

Either way, I might recommend filing a bug report – include the issue you’re having, and you might also mention the problem with specifying a filename for multiple files.
-Eric

No, it doesn’t work even without substitution characters.

I’ll file a bug report. Thanks for your help.

I have the same problem :frowning:
Creating backup for virtual server blabla.com

Copying virtual server configuration ..
  .. done

Backing up Cron jobs ..
  .. none defined.

Saving mail aliases ..
  .. done

Saving mail and FTP users ..
  .. done

Backing up mail and FTP user Cron jobs ..
  .. none to backup

Copying Apache virtual host configuration ..
  .. done

Copying Apache log files ..
  .. done

Copying Webalizer configuration files ..
  .. done

Copying Logrotate configuration ..
  .. done

Dumping MySQL database arson ..
  .. done

Dumping PostgresSQL database arson ..
  .. done

Создание резервной копии конфигурационного файла AWstats ..
  .. done

Creating incremental TAR file of home directory ..
  .. done

I have a 43 domains and virtualmin 3.82.gpl

Hmm, so what problem are you having specifically? I’m not seeing an error in your backup output, only the message that there aren’t any cron jobs defined… which isn’t actually a problem, that’s normal unless you have some cron jobs setup :slight_smile:

-Eric