Reverse DNS

I have noticed that non of my domains that are created by virtualmin are getting a reverse address set. When I go into BIND via virtualmin and click on a domain, I see the the Reverse Address field has 0. How do I ensure that when a domain is created or updated, that it does create a reverse record?

Howdy,

Typically, reverse DNS for a given IP address is something that’s set by your ISP, rather than by you.

So although you control the forward DNS for your domains – if you’d like to set the reverse DNS, you’d typically need to give your ISP a call (or some provide a web interface), and have them set it for you.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

We actual have our ISP letting us fully manage our DNS. They have delegated the responsibility to our IP’s. I just don’t know how in virtualmin to have it stick to a dns entry when we create one. For example, when I create a new domain with a static address, it doesn’t create the reverse entry for it. How can I accomplish this?

I think you have to create the reverse DNS with webmin (wouldn’t make sense to do it for every virtual host, right?). I am not an expert, but you could try Webmin->BIND->Create Master Zone->Zone Type->Reverse and so on

I can set my rDNS too, given permission by the ISP. However to do this I need to log in to my control panel of the ISP.
You can not set it at the server level.
You should have a control panel for your account at your ISP as well.

@ronald: That’s the way many hosters do it (mine too), yeah, but it is also sure possible to have an actual nameserver delegation for a reverse zone. That only works though if we are talking about a full /24 subnet at the least - that’s the smallest unit that can be delegated in the in-addr.arpa zone.

Snapmin is right, you’d need to create and manage the reverse zone “manually” using the BIND Webmin module. As far as I see it, Virtualmin does not manage reverse zones. Usually this is not needed or useful either, since the desired reverse-DNS entry and the forward-DNS domain name of a server most of the time are not identical (since many domains use the same IP and stuff).