Restoring Virtualmin configuration on a fresh server breaks it

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 22.04
Webmin version 2.105

I’ve migrated from Plesk to Webmin and I’m learning a bit how things work. I’m not exactly a sysadmin and lacks knowledge to efficiently diagnose issues.

I tried the backup/restore of Virtualmin and successfully restored all my domains on my test server. :+1:
All my sites and Virtualmin were reachable.

However, when I tried to restore Virtualmin’s configuration, errors happened, Virtualmin wouldn’t start, and my server wasn’t reachable with SSH anymore.

Requests don’t reach the server at some point during the restore:

What I could find in the console :

Feb 01 19:45:07 host.canapin.com systemd[1]: webmin.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
░░
░░ The unit webmin.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
Feb 01 19:45:07 host.canapin.com systemd[1]: Failed to start Webmin server daemon.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit webmin.service has failed
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
░░
░░ A start job for unit webmin.service has finished with a failure.

Do you have any idea why such a restore on a fresh server causes this havoc and how to troubleshoot/fix it?

Thats webmin not virtualmin, not sure that will restore virtualmin.

I don’t even see virtualmin module

I fixed the typos in my post. :+1:
I first restored a Virtualmin backup, which went smooth.
Then, I tried restoring a Webmin configuration, which made my server crash.

The problem is a missing SSL CA chain cert (canapin.com.ca). I don’t know how you got to that particular situation, but you can just edit /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and remove the config line(s) for the missing SSL file(s). You can re-issue/re-install the certs once Webmin is running again, if you want.

1 Like

Which OS was running on the previous server, where Webmin configuration was backed up?

1 Like

Ubuntu 22.04 on both servers.

I tried to backup/restore multiple times, but canapin.com.ca is never copied in the backup archive. :thinking:
When I manually copy it to the new server after the restore and I restart Webmin, everything seems to run smoothly.

My backup settings are default, and all Modules to backup are selected.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.