Restoring Virtualmin configuration on a fresh server breaks it

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 22.04
Webmin version 2.105

I’ve migrated from Plesk to Webmin and I’m learning a bit how things work. I’m not exactly a sysadmin and lacks knowledge to efficiently diagnose issues.

I tried the backup/restore of Virtualmin and successfully restored all my domains on my test server. :+1:
All my sites and Virtualmin were reachable.

However, when I tried to restore Virtualmin’s configuration, errors happened, Virtualmin wouldn’t start, and my server wasn’t reachable with SSH anymore.

Requests don’t reach the server at some point during the restore:

What I could find in the console :

Feb 01 19:45:07 host.canapin.com systemd[1]: webmin.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
░░
░░ The unit webmin.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
Feb 01 19:45:07 host.canapin.com systemd[1]: Failed to start Webmin server daemon.
░░ Subject: A start job for unit webmin.service has failed
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
░░
░░ A start job for unit webmin.service has finished with a failure.

Do you have any idea why such a restore on a fresh server causes this havoc and how to troubleshoot/fix it?

Thats webmin not virtualmin, not sure that will restore virtualmin.

I don’t even see virtualmin module

I fixed the typos in my post. :+1:
I first restored a Virtualmin backup, which went smooth.
Then, I tried restoring a Webmin configuration, which made my server crash.

The problem is a missing SSL CA chain cert (canapin.com.ca). I don’t know how you got to that particular situation, but you can just edit /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and remove the config line(s) for the missing SSL file(s). You can re-issue/re-install the certs once Webmin is running again, if you want.

1 Like

Which OS was running on the previous server, where Webmin configuration was backed up?

1 Like

Ubuntu 22.04 on both servers.

I tried to backup/restore multiple times, but canapin.com.ca is never copied in the backup archive. :thinking:
When I manually copy it to the new server after the restore and I restart Webmin, everything seems to run smoothly.

My backup settings are default, and all Modules to backup are selected.