Restoring a Virtual Server with a larger MySQL database appears to be hung

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Ubuntu 20.04
Webmin version: Latest, just installed yesterday
Virtualmin version: Same
Related products version: ???

I’m restoring a virtual server from a backup I made in September. There is a mysql database in this backup that’s quite large. I started the restore process yesterday at about 9AM. It’s 27 hours later and Virtualmin is still running the restore screen with the progress indicator at the top, but I have no way to know if it’s even actually doing anything. 27 hours is a really long time to wait for a restore, but I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt…

How do I stop the process if I need to and why would it take so long to restore a database?

Is the progress indicator moving left to right (like it was on the screen of starship Enterprise on stardate 2265 in the inaugural episode of Star Trek)? Or is it static?

If it is static then the underlying process has terminated, even though the progress bar itself is visible. It’s not doing anything. You can close the tab in the browser.

How large is the MySQL db uncompressed/compressed state?

It’s more like a Cylon or the front of Hasslehof’s fancy car. But yes, it’s still going back and forth.

I don’t have any idea how to determine this.

if the file is a .sql then just tell us how big it is. if it’s .gz or bz or bz2 then if you are on windows use something like 7-zip to see the uncompressed size…:slight_smile: I have a client db here that has over 1.5 million records…it takes about 20 minutes to restore that one account because of the db. Also how much ram is in the system? If your db uncompressed size is larger than your ram you are probably going into swap hell and that also will seriously degrade your restore performance.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.