Restoring a backed up domain on new server results in a broken system. Mysqld will not start and all domains are therefore broken

Source (Ubuntu 14.04.6 Webmin 19.73 Virtualmin 6.15)
Target (Ubuntu 18.04.5 Webmin 19.73 Virtualmin 6.16 Pro)

We have had various attempts to migrate 2 domains from an older virtualmin system (Ubuntu 14.04.6) to a new vritualmin system (Ubuntu 18.04.5).

Despite the restore process running seemingly correctly and showing no errors on the screen with all operations completed. Result is a broken system.

We get little scheduled downtime as these domains are in use full time by clients. We scheduled time late last night to attempt this again. Took a full server snapshot (c. 7mins)

Then tried a restore of 1 domain. Just basic creating domain info, admin info, mail accounts and home directory and web content. No databases, no SSL website etc.

All operations completed as far as the restore tool is concerned.

Then webmin offline! Alarm bells.

We ssh in and take a look at /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf and there are two lines relating to SSL. We comment them out and now webmin is up. Mysqd is down and will not start. Clearly something is wrong. We tried to restore it as if it was simply an email only domain. Only selections were as per attached picture.

We then abandoned this attempt again and restored the server from the snapshot backup. Downtime almost an hour.

It is critical we get these domains off the other server as it is costing us double at present old server and new server.

We are a pro user and expecting to renew again this year. But we may need some hands-on help to get these marooned domains across safely.

Cheers Spart

Hi, well there was differences on apache config - I think you’ve gone from 2.2 to 2.4… means you will have to adapt htaccess files, even apache configs = you done skip between versions but while you on it, why not install os version 20.04? You would enjoy latest php and speed also security and lts…

I did not track that much mysql as when I switch from debian 8 to debian 9 it was automatically replaced to mariadb and distro upgrade did migrated this for me automatically. I think all I had to do was creating something like mine.cfg ? or my.cfg file? - dont remember this as it was very long time ago. I am also not sure about ubuntu but on debian mysql was replaced by mariadb.

You can always move to new server and re-upload server content by hand and troubleshoot them one by one. I understand that this can be pain in ass, but that is what happen if you upgrade long time after distro eol time passes.

Also it would be worth a note that if you need to be absolutely sure your system will not break, setup virtualbox or kvm and mirror setup of your virtualmin, take snapshot and perform upgrade there, and you can troubleshoot / investigate and make those changes required. Once all done and sound apply same stuff on production side, but defo you doing massive upgrade with massive changes, I would be even surprised if something would not broke.

Edit: if you can export dbs and get contents of /public_html and mail folders you can re-upload them to new system (18.04) and then you can upgrade to 20.04. If site get broken rename .htaccess to .htaccess.back and regenerate .htaccess file within app (assume wp or joomla etc) or edit .htaccess file and remove wrong lines in configuration.

That should have never been done. 14.04 was end of life in 2019. The next version was 16.04 and it was end of life this month.

You skipped up two versions from a 3 year outdated OS. You’re GOING to have problems doing that.

Like @unborn says you’re going to have to do a lot of work fixing that up. And while you’re at it you might as well move on to 20.04 and be done with it for another 5 years.

1 Like

Yes we are well aware there will be issues! The target system is not a new 18.04.5 server is a target server currently hosting 20+ other domains.

Once we have migrated these 2 orphaned domains to that system we will start on the challenge of migrating all of the domains to a new 20.04 system.

But for now we just need to move these orphaned domains on to 18.04.

I think we just need to get the restore process to create the basic virtual server. No website, no DB’s, No SSL etc. Just Domain info, DNS, Users and passwords essentially like a mail only domain. We can add other features like website, ssl, spam etc. once the basic domain is up and the users ar all good. We can rsync the home dir and recreate the DB’s on the new system. Sync mal dirs using imapsync. Once the DNS switched over.

@Gomez_Adams exactly - I just did not wanted to spill this to him/her but system will break up…

I know this as many clients used me for this issue and that is why I suggested to just simply go with latest os and troubleshoot and for future test it before life deployment. Sometimes people think oh its just 14 to 18 or just jump over to 20… - but massive things happens mothly or even daily. Here on debian we have golden rule - I always follow it. I started on debian 6 - updated to 7 to 8 to 9 to 10… today I decided to pull plug on my very very old hardware and replace it with something modern and efficient, but still I did installed 10… guess what? because I did not done upgrade “properly”, I found many new changes in virtualmin and OS itself has been there… it was quiet refresh for my sites and for me as well.

I would really like to suggest folks from virtualmin to drop eol distros support.

First of the point it would take them huge time and resources to get it back - even if that is possible which most of the time is not as outdated code is just - outdated.

@sparticle manual backup and restore is what I did suggested to you - I just don’t understand why you’ve not starting doing it with troubleshooting - as I pointed out there is no any other easy way. - YOU SHOULD UPDATE YOUR SERVER AT LEAST EVERY 6 MONTHS - you will be fine on ubuntu. Don’t get me wrong ubuntu is great os, its just your are based on source code with ubuntu modifications, which I am right clean on it - pure Debian here.

Anyway just log into your server and do some updates for yourself at last 4-6 moths and you would have live more easier - after you finish your migration process.

Never mind, one will learn in one way or another :wink:

oh I am sounding anti ubuntu again? sorry - not mean to be like that. ubuntu is great os but you all need to understand - you cannot go from diesel made in 1989 to 2021 as engine developed more… its just not possible.

same as this problem… its more or less same issue.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.