restore issue with folder permissions

I just did a very bad thing, I accidently deleted the entire domain off the primary server.

Luckily I had just copied the backup file to another server a few minutes before the mistake.

I’m happy to say the restore worked very smoothly, and completed with out issue or any failures. i was so relieved…

However, afterwards I went into the Website Content manager “Joomla” and tried to make some simple global configuration changes, like session time out, but although it said the configuration was updated, nothing was being saved.

So I logged in with an FTP client to check the file & folder permissions and found some strange permissions of “flcdmpe” and “adfrw”, and ownerships listed as 714 & 514 instead of the administrator user, although the id listed is the same for the site administrator. So it should work.

I went into Virtualmin under Limited and validation / Validate Virtual Servers / Fix Permissions, but it didn’t help at all.

I found this information on the issue…
http://docs.joomla.org/Cannot_save_Global_Configuration_changes

How do I go about fixing the permissions properly so I don’t mess something else up, which seems to be a trend with me lately.

Well, it seems the work around is to download via ftp, manually edit the Joomla configuration.php file to turn off the sftp feature by changing one to 0 and then upload the file again. Then the changed will save fine.

Seems joomla dows not like the Ownership IDs #'s, it wants them to be the exact same as the FTP user name spelling. The only other way I know of is to Delete the site folder as root, then log in via FTP and upload the files and folders via FTP then it will automatically apply the FTP user name as the owner instead of the ID #.

Nothings ever smooth and easy, so many little hurdles to overcome.

I believe this happened because I neglected to change the default restore option for “Re-allocate UIDs & GID?” from Yes to No. Leaving it at yes changes the ID to avoid clashes, If you select No it uses what ever was used on the backup.

So much to learn…but I think its best to learn from mistakes through manual process rather then have it all automated in the background where you can’t see where the problems occurred or how to fix them.

I believe this happened because I neglected to change the default restore option for “Re-allocate UIDs & GID?” from Yes to No. Leaving it at yes changes the ID to avoid clashes, If you select No it uses what ever was used on the backup.

So much to learn…but I think its best to learn from mistakes through manual process rather then have it all automated in the background where you can’t see where the problems occurred or how to fix them.