Restore backup - Cannot create symlink to 'public_html/cgi-bin'

SYSTEM INFORMATION
**OS type and version:CentOS Linux 8.4.2105
**Webmin version:1.981
**Virtualmin version:6.17 Pro
**Related products version:?

I have restored many backups in the past on different versions and OS, I have not seen this error before. I have a fresh backup from another CentOs 8.4 server using default gzip compression setting, both servers more or less the same but one on Virtualmin 6.16 Pro and the receiver server on 6.17 Pro - the latter doesnt matter as the same problem occurred on 6.16 Pro.

Some domains work fine after being restored on new server, others get php-fpm errors and will crash the php-fpm service on new server after import. I then exclude some web files and the restore usually works OK. However, a couple of domains just keep messing the restore and I get the following error:

Using Virtualmin Restore
Extracting TAR file of home directory …
… TAR failed!

/bin/tar: ./cgi-bin: Cannot create symlink to ‘public_html/cgi-bin’: File exists /bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

… failed! See the progress output above for the reason why.

Been searching online and doesnt seem to be a common problem (in general), anybody else having had similar issues with the restore?

Changed backup format to .zip as gz and tar would not work. It will backup fine but restore wont work due to the error above on new server. This is for the server that will backup the domain that is being transferred.

The server that will restore the domain, wont matter if gz, tar or zip enabled for backups under virtualmin configurations. Well that was my experience.

8 out of 10 backups with default options restored fine. 1 had the specific error above and that got resolved by changing the backup format. Very odd but at least I am happy :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.