Restoration of virtual servers fails - gunzip failure

Dear Team,

Suddenly i face problem in restoring the virtualmin backups of my virtual servers.
I have restored more than 50 virtual servers and these failures have started coming.
I have tried restoring other virtual servers also but the problem persists.
Please help.
Thanks and Regards

System Information

Webmin version 1.730
Kernel and CPU Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 on x86_64
Operating system Debian Linux 7

Error Details

Restoring allowed MySQL hosts ..
.. done
Re-loading MySQL database ganapathi ..
.. gunzip failed!
gzip: /tmp/.webmin/881284_20040_2_restore.cgi/mydomain.org_mysql_ganapathi: Permission denied

Applying web server configuration …
… done
… failed! See the progress output above for the reason why.

Howdy,

Does this problem occur for just this one domain, or for all domains?

Also, what is the output of this command:

ls -la /tmp/.webmin/

Lastly, which Virtualmin version is it that you’re using now?

-Eric

Hello Eric

output of this command:

# ls -la /tmp/.webmin/ total 8 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 5 17:07 . drwxrwxrwx 5 root root 4096 Mar 5 17:06 ..

Virtualmin 4.14 gpl

Just a few hours back, i had restored more than 50 domains.
This problem has started appearing all of a sudden.
I tested many domain backups. the problem remains the same.

Please help.

Thanks and Regards

I had this today, after a WP possible hack, I tried to restore and got that error.

After I noticed the database in question had no tables and the user for the database was not correct.

I changed the user and still got it…

Eventually, I unzipped a VM backup, uploaded the com_sql file and renamed it with an sql extention, logged into SSH and ran this command and my site came back.

mysql -u theuser -pmypwd targetdb < /home/pathtouploadeddb/public_html/uploaded.sql

Worried me a bit, pesky WP.

Thanks Welshman for your workarounds.

Mine is a totally difference issue.
As a part of my server migration process, i have moved virtualmin backups from my old server and am trying to restore them in a new server.
I had no issues during my initial 50+ restorations.
This issue started cropping up all of a sudden

I have hundreds of domains to be restored urgently.
Can i have the help in getting this resolved, please ?

Thanks and Regards

Dear All,

I have hundreds of domains to be restored urgently. Can i have the help in getting this resolved, please ?

Thanks and Regards

A new version will be out soon; either to roll back this change or to fix it so it actually works right. It will happen before I go to bed. I don’t know exactly when, but soon.

In the meantime, I believe command line restore-domain feature will work as expected (and if you have hundreds of restores, you would definitely want to use the command line anyway…doing that in the UI would take forever!). I haven’t tested it, but I’ve been reading the restore code, and I’m pretty sure the command line restore would miss this codepath, as long as you do not specify the “–as-owner” option.

Let me know if that’s not the case.

I would recommend trying just one before doing all of your hundreds of restores.

On Debian/Ubuntu, a quick and easy way to downgrade to Virtualmin GPL 4.14 is with this command:

apt-get install webmin-virtual-server=4.14.gpl

Actually, double-checking the code, I think the problem will also occur when using the command line version (which is kinda bug-like in and of itself).

I’m rolling out a fixed version 4.15-2 now. It will be out in about 10-15 minutes.

It should be in all of our repositories. So, updating with yum or apt-get should get the new version.

Issue resolved after upgrading 4.15-2

Thanks Joe, Erci & Team

Wonderful people and Wonderful software…

Yeah, thanks a lot guys, can confirm here as well, working a treat.