Replace Webmins Self-Signed Cert w/goDaddys

I have found detailed threads regarding adding an certificate for a virtual host and I have done that before.

However I want to replace (or add as chain, whichever is recommended) the self-signed cert that Webmin itself is using for the host address. I can’t seem to find how to generate a CSR from within Webmin>Webmin Configuration>SSL Encryption.

Am I going about this the wrong way? A shove in the right direction would be appreciated.

Brian<br><br>Post edited by: webwzrd, at: 2008/12/13 06:33

A lot of the GoDaddy threads you’ll find in here relate to it’s use in Virtualmin – which is nice and easy, you’d select a domain, choose Server Configuration -> Manage SSL Certificate, then generate the CSR from within there.

If you’re using Virtualmin on your box there – what I would do is add the domain in question as a Virtual Server. Once it’s added, make sure that the “SSL Website Enabled” feature is checked – then you’ll be able to generate the CSR for it.

Once you add the certificate and such in there, you can then go into the Webmin SSL Configuration, and point it to the SSL cert and key being used by that Virtual Server.

Of course, if you aren’t using Virtualmin on this box, then we’ll need to find another way to generate that CSR :slight_smile:
-Eric

Thanks Eric,

Okay, if my host name is something like host.domain.com and there is a virtual server setup for domain.com… I don’t want the certificate for domain.com, I need it for the hostname. I don’t get how this is going to work.

I’m using Virtualmin Pro.

Howdy,

That’s no problem… when you go into “Manage SSL Certificates”, and click the “Signing Request” tab, there’s a field named “Server Name”.

That’s the name associated with the certificate. If you put hostname.domain.com in that field, then the SSL Cert will be issued for just that – hostname.domain.com.

For creating the cert – the name of the Virtual Server and/or the hostname of your server don’t matter. What matters is the name you use in that field.

Of course, I’d also make sure that the Virtual Server for domain.com has an alias added to it, “hostname.domain.com”, so that your SSL Cert will work correctly when accessed via Apache in addition to what you’re trying to do with Webmin.
-Eric

Eric,

You are so helpful… thank you. I just went through the initial steps and can now see what you mean. I think I’ll wait until the morning to do complete the process.

I’ll report back.

Brian

Went smoothly. Thanks again Eric.

Brian