Removing unwanted Modules for better security

Webmin is running with Virtualmin in a Centos 8 environment.

I tend to focus on securing systems, or at the very least removing what I don’t need from them, thus looking at what Modules/Programs to uninstall. Among other things due to open ports and similar circumstances.

For example I do know that in my setup I will not handle e-mail. At all. So then I uninstall postfix, imap, smtp, and all related applications. Having said that I do not want to cripple the Sending Email module, which has dependencies in Read User Mail module, some how. I want to get system reports via e-mail.

I read the PCI compliance text on the Virtualmin site and that may be relevant for me, but as for other available modules, like Mail, ADSL, PPP, Jabber, and a few more… that I know I do not need… I mean, there seem to be a gazillion dependencies across just about everything but I want to secure my system and I am very unsure of how to do this in an organized way. There are 8 different installed modules whose name has “mail” in them.

It seems the only way to go is to not remove anything you are not sure what it does…to me that is opure guess work, with some exceptions, mentioned above.

What to do?

Hi,

I read the PCI compliance text on the Virtualmin site and that may be relevant for me, but as for other available modules, like Mail, ADSL, PPP, Jabber, and a few more… that I know I do not need… I mean, there seem to be a gazillion dependencies across just about everything

We wouldn’t recommend removing (deleting) modules from Webmin installation directory but rather disabled those modules for users using Webmin Users > username > Available Webmin Modules page:

So then I uninstall postfix, imap, smtp, and all related applications. Having said that I do not want to cripple the Sending Email module, which has dependencies in Read User Mail module, some how. I want to get system reports via e-mail.

It’s better to handle it using Firewall - block every service, unless it’s used and needed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.