Remotely connect to SQL database server using microsoft sql management studio

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 20.04.4
Webmin version 1.991
Virtualmin version 7.0-4

hello everyone -
I want to be able to connect to a database on my virtualmin server using microsoft sql management studio (open to alternatives if that makes a difference).

I created a new user on the virtualmin side and gave it access to the database in question.
I then went on webmin and gave it permission to connect from any hosts.

When i try to connect - i keep getting a failed connection.
I googled for answers and found this post (Easy remote sql access) I followed the steps (listening port → any, + port 3306 mysql service is permitted)
restarted the server but still can’t connect.

Error:

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to <“SERVER NAME”>.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

The network path was not found

Can someone give me step by step instruction on how to remotely connect to a MySQL database server on virtualmin from a remote host?
I’m sure i m missing something stupid like permissions or firewall but I can’t seem to

have you done this ? Connecting to MySQL (MySQLToSQL) - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs

Thanks for the quick answers - i was able to connect programmatically (python) but not MSSMS - I think the issue here is figuring out the “instance name” for the server name.

I don’t think it is a virtualmin / webmin issue anymore but thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.