Recommended hardware requirements for the GPL version

Hello everyone, several weeks ago I did an installation on CentOS, so I opened a topic to ask for help in case I needed to do something else after installing Virtualmin, then Rocky Linux was recommended to me (I used version 9).

The VPS is 1 Core, 2GB RAM, 50GB SSD
(Digitalocean RAM 2GiB/1vCPU/BW 2000 GiB/SSD 50 GiB)

The installation proceeds and finishes, but when navigating the panel, it loads slowly, the CPU is always at 99%, and the RAM is more than half, at times the CPU and RAM drops to 10% but it is only seconds.
Increase the CPU to 2 Cores, and better just a little bit.

Only installing and verifying that everything is well installed from the panel. No websites or accounts created. Is slow.
I’m starting to think that the CPU should be 4 Cores and 4GB of RAM for everything to run smoothly with some database pages.
Or is it that with this provider the VPS are slower than normal?

Thanks for the help.

In quantum mechanics, one can either detect the position of an electron or the direction of its movement. The very act of measuring it changes its location and path. This is referred to as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

On low memory / low resource systems, Virtualmin Dashboard’s realtime monitoring system does show very pretty graphs but the very act of using it impacts the load on the system and precipitates exactly the symptoms that you describe. It is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle at work at a non-quantum-mechanics level. Someone should offer this as poof and win a Nobel.

If you use the top command, @alfred0cs or a systems monitoring tool in the control panel of your VPS service provider, you might find that your low resource system is performing quite normally when you are not looking at it.

Also see Virtualmin on Low Memory Systems – Virtualmin

2GB RAM on a single core is quite sufficient to run Virtualmin to host a reasonable number of domains. 2 cores gives you almost double the speed.

The steal time value of the top command will tell you that.

Quick tip: disable scanning for virus.

1GB is fine, unless you’re trying to host mail. ClamAV all by itself needs more than 1GB of RAM.

Edit: Of course your apps may need vastly more than that. The Virtualmin stack, including mail (except ClamAV) runs fine in about 1 GB, but we generally recommend the minimal version for 1GB or less systems, and you probably can’t do anything super resource-intensive. Virtualmin is not the major consumer of resources, however. Virtualmin itself (I mean, Webmin and the Virtualmin modules, not any of the services it manages) only needs about 110MB (more or less), and can also be configured to use 30MB or less (disabling module caching, which makes it slower, but for small systems that’s better than running out of RAM and everything getting pushed into swap).

So should I disable the antivirus?
It’s not important?

If you only have 1GB you cannot reasonably run ClamAV. It’s not even an option for you. ClamAV requires about 1GB all by itself. If you only have 1GB you can either run ClamAV or you can run other stuff (like websites and stuff), you cannot run both.

Whether it is important is up to you. I don’t use it, but I have no non-technical users getting mail on my servers.

Edit: ClamAV is very large because of the virus database, which grows every day (because new viruses are found every day). We have no control over the size of ClamAV.

Taking advantage of a coupon, I am using a more powerful VPS.
I want to familiarize myself with the control panel.
Thank you very much for the help, I will be using the antivirus only if my vps has resources.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.