rebuild a disk

hello

on a dell poweredge 1650 running centos 5.1 and VM Pro on a raid 5 configuration, is there a way to shutdown 1 disk, replace it with a new one and rebuild the new disk?

Or do I need special/other software for this?

thank you

Um, isn’t the idea of RAID 5 to be able to pull the disk out and replace it, then Raid will rewrite the disk…:wink:

Just make sure your replacement disk is the same capacity or larger, Rid will downgrade it to equal the others.

it is what i thought yes.
I saw a demonstration video on the dell support website, that you have to shutdown the failing/faulty disk, wait till it doesn’t spin anymore and then take it out.

Which makes sense in a way, cause I wouldn’t like to take out a spinning disk from the server.

However I can’t get the Dell Server Open Manager working on a Linux box, so I thought there might be another way using Virtualmin.

With their software you would login through a web browser and manage the disks, like trying to rebuild it first before replacing it.
It seems to them that 65% of all faulty disks can be saved/repaired this way and would save time and costs if this would be possible.

I didn’t find such a module in Virtualmin and thought it might be important to know before I place my server in a datacenter.

Just in case I bought 2 extra disks as a backup plan.

Here’s a dump of the links I found helpful in setting up the DRAC:
http://support2.jp.dell.com/docs/software/smdrac3/dracmc/1.0/ug/dracugaa.htm#wp50011
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/DellRemoteAccessController5Security.Pdf
http://tyrannical.org/page-13

One of the reasons we steer clear of anything Dell. Got so tired of their proprietary hardware and software.

We’ve been using the software RAID that Linux provides with pretty goods results thus far.

I do have a card build in (PERC 3/DI) and I set the raid 5 in the bios.

I am not too familiar with CLI and prefer to work with GUI’s, so if there is some module in VM to shutdown a disk or rebuild it instead then this would be very nice…(a failing disk can often be repaired by rebuilding it instead of replacing it)

PlayGod, I am not entirely sure what DRAC has to do with this as it is a PCI card with its own mini-server + software build in. It is operational even when the server is shutdown. The card should have its own static IP to login to.
I dont think your problem has anything to do with the servers OS or VM

Also Dell’s OSM can be installed afterwards and is usually placed in opt/dell/serveradm, however on a CentOS installation like mine it is a bit tricky though

Sorry for the double post. This message came up: "Oops! You’ve hit a bug in the forum software. It’ll be fixed soon. "

I had Dell’s RAC working on my server, but it’s not working after installing Webmin, Virtualmin GPL and finally Virtualmin Pro. :â

I had Dell’s RAC working on my server, but it’s not working after installing Webmin, Virtualmin GPL and finally Virtualmin Pro. :â

I had Dell's RAC working on my server, but it's not working after installing Webmin, Virtualmin GPL and finally Virtualmin Pro. :â