Reboot freeze after CentOS 7 -> AlmaLinux 8 migration

I’m getting a bit desperate here trying to migrate CentOS 7 server to AlmaLinux 8. Thisi is btw done on Hetzner cloud server, which is running KVM hypervisor (https://docs.hetzner.com/cloud/technical-details/faq/).

I thought some of you may have seen this. I’m not suspecting Virtualmin/Webmin to cause this, but well, what do I know.

I have managed to run the “leapp upgrade” succesfully. On the console screen I give reboot command and get the kernel menu with “ELevate-Upgrade-Initramfs” selection, as expected. After selecting it the reboot and migration continues for some 80 seconds and then… a complete freeze. The last texts on the screen are “Stopped target [this-and-that]”, like “Stopped target Paths”.

So, no luck so far.

Any pointers, any ideas? Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks, More / Helsinki

I think it’ll be better if you ask in the AlmaLinux forum, as it seems it isnt related to Virtualmin/Webmin

1 Like

Centos upgrades have never been great, I would never do it. Fresh install using VM restores has always worked fine for me. Like vtrh said this is really not a VM issue as it just a control panel.

I’ve had no problems with Rocky conversions and upgrades on a half dozen or so systems. I haven’t done any Alma conversions, so I don’t have any experience. You may find the Alma community is better able to help with that.

Thanks! Yes, I’ll keep on asking from Alma and Hetzner forums.

I didn’t get any good advice from Alma or Hetzner forums, so I changed the tactics.

1. Backed up all the sites and took notes of all generic settings (e.g. firewall ports).
  2. Moved the backup files to another server with SCP
  3. Rebuilt the server with AlmaLinux 9
  4. Did basic hardening for the server (SSH port access, firewall etc.)
  5. Installed Virtualmin
  6. Moved the backup files back with SCP
  7. Restored the sites

It went pretty well. This guide was really helpful:
https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/system/migrate/

I will handle my other servers with the same procedure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.