Random FTP port in scheduled backup

Hey guys,

One of my virtualmin servers started doing this recently.

Uploading archive to FTP server xxx.xx.xx.xxx …
… upload failed! Failed to connect to xxx.xx.xx.xxx:13247 : Connection timed out

… upload failed! Failed to connect to xxx.xx.xx.xxx:48828 : Connection timed out

… upload failed! Failed to connect to xxx.xx.xx.xxx:39733 : Connection timed out

Each time the scheduled backup is run or if I run it manually, the port following the FTP’s IP address is different, random. I tried putting in :21 at the end of the IP address, but it still comes up with a random port instead.

What the heck? Nothing has changed on the server recently that makes it any different from the other servers I administer.

Howdy,

Well, FTP uses a variety of ports when it performs a file upload.

Did the firewall on the remote server recently change?

Also, is the remote server running Linux or Windows?

-Eric

Remote server has basically the same setup as this one, it’s just a Virtualmin box with lots of storage for backups, running on CentOS.

No firewall changes, but I will check to make sure.

I disabled the firewall on the server having the issue and… it’s solved for 2 of 3 backup servers it uploads to. It may have been misconfigured when it was originally setup. So it wasn’t the backup servers, except that one that still didn’t work. I didn’t think of the firewall, because it’s supposed to be using the same setup as the other servers. Weird. Thanks!!