Question about (sd-pam); possible malware?

Hello,

Today CSF sent 3 emails in a row indicating 'Excessive resource usage:…". I have gotten these 3 emails before in the past but I didn’t think much about it until now. Here are the email messages from CSF:

Time:         Sat Feb 24 16:03:43 2024 -0500
Account:      mainUser
Resource:     Process Time
Exceeded:     1812 > 1800 (seconds)
Executable:   /usr/bin/bash
Command Line: -bash
PID:          1044302 (Parent PID:1044301)
Killed:       No
Executable:   /usr/lib/systemd/systemd
Command Line: (sd-pam)
PID:          1044295 (Parent PID:1044293)
Executable:   /usr/lib/systemd/systemd
Command Line: /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --user
PID:          1044293 (Parent PID:1044293)

After receiving these 3 emails, I decided to look into them to see if they’re normal or not. Come to find out, it seems (sd-pam) could be a potential malware according to the following links:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1165677.html?sid=072c64c588404d0e47ee82f00e0aa883

It seems the malware is a cryptocurrency miner and more, and hides itself under (sd-pam). Since cryto miners use a system’s resources, my resources seem to be intact and I don’t see or have any odd usage of system resources thus far.

Has anyone else received such emails from CSF? If anyone has any info or insight on what it is and if there should be any concern, pls feel free to write.

It’s possible in my case it’s a normal notice by CSF, but I’m not 100% sure. I have also ran rkhunter and got clean results.

Thanks in advance!

CSF does this alot on normal server operations when I ran it.
CSF is not a third party software and really it better to ask on there forum.
https://forum.configserver.com/

This is not really a question about CSF, but rather if anyone here is familiar or knows what’s going, or could be going on with what’s mentioned in the OP.

Thanks anyway.

A normal system would have sd-pam. It’s a systemd user service. That doesn’t rule out malware, just says that malware hides itself as something that will legitimately exist on a system.

Having that process doesn’t tell you you have malware, but the fact that that process will exist on most modern systems doesn’t mean you don’t have malware.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.