Question about DuplicatorPro plugin and user permissions

I have 2 vhosts

dom1.com and dom2.com

dom1.com - user:dom1 group:dom1 Directory:/home/dom1 BackupDir: /home/dom1/backup
dom2.com - user:dom2 group:dom2 Directory:/home/dom2 BackupDir: /home/dom2/backup

on both I have a wordpress installed and each is backup by plugin called DuplicatorPro

How do I set the permissions if I want to backup to:

dom1 - /home/backup/dom1
dom2 - /home/backup/dom2

Should I create a group example “duplicator” and add both users to that group so I can set like that:

/home/backup/ chown root:duplicator
/home/backup/dom1 chown dom1:dom1
/home/backup/dom2 chown dom2:dom2

I am new in Linux that’s why I just want to ask if I add for example:

User:dom1 to a group: duplicator that is already in the group:dom1 this user will become user of both groups or this will change the group from “dom1” to “duplicator” ???

Thank you

As what user does the backup program run natively?

If it’s a WordPress plugin, my guess is that it runs as the user for that domain, in which case the backup directory would need to be in the user’s home directory (for example, /home/[user]/backup), not home/backup/, which the plugin would not have permission to create from a user account.

The permissions would be whatever the program requires, which again would be determined by what user it runs as and how much access it needs.

The documentation for the plugin would probably be a better place to find that information unless someone here happens to be running the same plugin.

Richard

2 Likes

Hello

I don’t think that is about that plugin as you said all the wordpress is using the vhost username all I have to do is give that user permissions to use that folder but I am not sure how to structure the permission so both users can access /home/backup and and separate the permissions to both sub folders

Something like that

/home/backup/ chown root:duplicator
/home/backup/dom1 chown dom1:dom1
/home/backup/dom2 chown dom2:dom2

because the server is main not limit by some VPS provider I have full physical and super user permissions. I can do the hell I want, but I need to do it right. I should take a vmware snapshot of this server in case I messed up something and try to do that way I think is right while waiting someone to help me

Thank you.

EDIT:

The problem is that when I try to create a group in Webmin User in “Available Webmin modules” there are over 100 options there I am not sure what to chose:

and this is just half the page

anyone ???

It really doesn’t matter whether it’s shared hosting, a dedicated server, or a VPS. It also doesn’t matter that you have root.

What matters is that WordPress plugins are designed with the assumption that they’ll be installed into WordPress instances, the overwhelming majority of which are on hosting accounts without root privileges. That means that everything they do – including creating and using directories – assumes only user privileges.

You’re trying to override that and force the plugin to use directories that do require root privileges. Is that possible? Probably. But it’s also atypical; and expecting advice on how to do an atypical installation, from people who aren’t familiar with the plugin, is exceedingly unlikely to get you any good answers.

You’re also trying to use a single directory to house backups that need to be accessed by multiple users, and which is outside any of their /home directories. Can it be done? Sure. But why not just do it the way the plugin is designed?

If you want good answers, I have none. I don’t know the plugin, and I rarely use WordPress.

If you want guesses, my guess would be that the directory needs 0750, with the plugin user as owner and both / all domains using the directory in a group having read and execute permission. I’ll also guess that the backup files inside the directory need 0755 so the user accounts can access the files and initiate restores.

Those are just guesses, and they’re probably wrong.

If you want correct information, you need to consult the plugin documentation and/or search forums devoted to WordPress (or even better, the particular plugin you’re using).

It’s not that people on this board don’t want to help. Everyone here is helpful. They wouldn’t come here if they weren’t. But this is not something we know anything about.

Richard

I have had a quick look at DuplicatorPro and I would echo the suggestions offered by @RJM_Web_Design in his post above - particularly the use of the /home/dom1/backup directory (and not the /home/backup that you are currently attempting to use) as destination so that your backup workflow has synergy with the directory ownership structure that Virtualmin itself uses; you then need not create additional users via Webmin and assign these users specific permissions.

Let’s keep it simple.

Assuming your webroot is the standard:
/home/dom1/public_html

Use the web interface to initiate a DuplicatorPro backup with the destination set to:
/home/dom1/backup (remember to create this directory beforehand - user:dom1 group:dom1)

You should find your backup archived at /home/dom1/backup with ownership set to user:dom1 group:dom1. Note that the backup is placed outside webroot and only user dom1 can access the backup archive file, so you are pretty secure by default.

If you wish to further tighten permissions of the backup archive file then you could 0600 it. That’s what Virtualmin’s excellent and versatile backup module does with the files that it creates, did you know? You could try using that instead of / in addition to DuplicatorPro.

1 Like

You do not want a Webmin user for this purpose! A Webmin user is not a UNIX/Linux system user.

You don’t want another user at all. Your WordPress plugins run as the user that owns the domain. You can’t and don’t want to override that.

Create your /home/backup directory with 755 permissions, and your /home/backup/dom1 with ownership of dom1:dom1. Your plugin will probably be able to write to it.

Don’t make this complicated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.