[Q] Webmin webmail reply to address....

G’Day,

Env:

• Webmin 1.460, Usermin 1.390, Virtualmin Pro 3.66

• Centos 5.2

• I have a domain configured for mydomain.com.au and an email user as myuser.mydomain. So far so good.

• The same user is able to login and browse their webmail without a problem.

• However when they reply to a message the reply to address is: myuser.mydomain@domain_where_webmin_is_installed.com.au. Naturally this is an invalid reply to address. I was expecting the reply to address to be myuser.mydomain@mydomain.com.au

• So how do I go about rectifying this? I cannot seem to find anything in WebMin that influences this.

All help, pointers etc. greatly appreciated.

Yeah, it sounds like either it’s not detecting the proper From address, or it’s currently set to something odd :slight_smile:

If you log into Usermin, click the Usermin link at the top, then Mail -> Mail Forwarding and Replies.

In there, you’ll see an option to set “From: address for replies”.
-Eric

Hi Eric,

Env:

• Webmin 1.470, Usermin 1.400, Virtualmin Pro 3.66 (Note upgrades to WM, UM)

• Centos 5.2

• I logged in as the affected user and went to "Mail Forwarding and Replies" as described and can see the "bad" reply to address I am seeing. Changing that to the address I want and then pressing Save reverts back to the "bad" address.

• Also looking at the read mail configuration settings for Usermin (https://domain_where_webmin_is_installed.com.au/usermin/edit_configs.cgi?mod=mailbox I see that I have the following settings in "User From Addresses":

Default hostname for From: addresses => From Real Hostname
Allow editing of From: address => Yes
From: address mapping file => /etc/mail/virtusertable (This file does not exist on my Centos / Postfix system)
Address mapping file format => Address to username (virtusertable)

I am loathe to "just" start changing things… but is it the fact that the address mappings file does not exist that is causing the issue?

Appreciate the help.

I logged in as the affected user and went to "Mail Forwarding and Replies" as described and can see the "bad" reply to address I am seeing. Changing that to the address I want and then pressing Save reverts back to the "bad" address.

Yikes, okay, that definitely sounds like a bug :slight_smile:

I’d recommend opening up a bug report, using the Bugs and Issues link below, so Jamie can look into that.
-Eric

This is actually configuration.

You have a Sendmail path, but I presume you’re using Postfix.

You’d want the address mapping file to be /etc/postfix/virtual

Thanks Joe, that change worked perfectly.

PS. Whenever I click to edit one of my posts I get an unexpected error and to contact the board administrators.

PS. Whenever I click to edit one of my posts I get an unexpected error and to contact the board administrators.

Really? I mean, I know it gives an error, but I thought I’d changed it to not say to anything about contacting people. It’s a well-known stupidity in the forum software, and I’ve heard about it plenty. :wink:

We’re moving to a completely new website running all new code in a few days.

OK. Will wait for that and see if the other stuff forum related is also sorted.