PROFTPD

Hello
I have a fresh instalation, of Ubuntu 10.04.1 on a virtual machine
installed Virtualmin, with no other issues, except the proftpd was stopped, and not starting

when i tried to start it via virtualmin

I get this :

Failed to start FTP server :

• Starting ftp server proftpd
    Illegal instruction
    …fail!

no changes were made in config file it is defaut configuration, and log is empty.

PS I am new, to linux normaly i would reinstall whole server, but i have migrated some websites there, via ssh. ftp is needed for some website services

Howdy,

Hmm, that’s an unusual error!

Do you know what kind of Virtual Machine you’re using?

Also, what is the output of this command (which you can run by logging into your server as root over SSH):

free -m

Also, what output do you receive if you try running the proftpd command manually:

proftpd -n

It is a www.intovps.com provided service
forgot to mention that ubuntu is 64bit
i do not think it has anything to do with provider, otherwise it would affect other services

proftpd -n --> Illegal instruction

free -m outputs
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 4096 1371 2724 0 0 0
-/+ buffers/cache: 1371 2724
Swap: 0 0 0

We see a lot of strange issues occur on OpenVZ based VPS’s… the way it handles memory management can lead to things not working as expected.

That may or may not be the case here :slight_smile:

It doesn’t usually manifest itself as one command not working such as what you’re seeing, it tends to be a bit more random.

If you run the command “cat /proc/user_beancounters”, what output do you receive?

-Eric

I have never expierienced problems like this on fresh install, this is first time

cat /proc/user_beancounters outputs

Version: 2.5 uid resource held maxheld barrier limit failcnt 75002: kmemsize 25591138 36543510 54525952 54525952 0 lockedpages 0 949 1024 1024 0 privvmpages 355396 495226 1048576 1048576 0 shmpages 13045 15710 102400 102400 0 dummy 0 0 0 0 0 numproc 89 640 640 640 7 physpages 227750 324234 0 9223372036854775807 0 vmguarpages 0 0 524288 9223372036854775807 0 oomguarpages 227755 324239 104857 9223372036854775807 0 numtcpsock 21 87 1024 1024 0 numflock 8 14 2048 2048 0 numpty 1 4 64 64 0 numsiginfo 0 33 1024 1024 0 tcpsndbuf 308928 2293664 5368709 10737418 0 tcprcvbuf 322464 4162592 5368709 10737418 0 othersockbuf 238944 1434800 5368709 10737418 0 dgramrcvbuf 0 21880 1342177 2684354 0 numothersock 154 178 1024 1024 0 dcachesize 0 0 8053063 12582912 0 numfile 3382 6283 32768 32768 0 dummy 0 0 0 0 0 dummy 0 0 0 0 0 dummy 0 0 0 0 0 numiptent 60 60 1536 1536 0

Howdy,

Yeah, I’ve never experienced errors such as that on a default install either, except on OpenVZ installs :slight_smile:

That user_beancountesr file a list of memory parameters on OpenVZ-based systems.

It looks like the “numproc” has a “failcnt” of 7 – that means that your provider is limiting the number of processes you can run at once, and on 7 different occasions, a process attempted to start, and was rejected due to the constaints.

Out of curiosity, if you run “proftpd -n” again, does that “failcnt” column for “numproc” go up to 8?

-Eric

Eric
No the failcount stays the same…

Well, that’s good, though it’s unclear why you’re getting that error.

Something strange is going on :slight_smile:

You said you checked the logs – I just wanted to verify that /var/log/proftpd/proftpd.log was one of the logfiles you had looked at.

Also, what output do you get if you run this command:

dmesg | tail -15

That should show if there’s any recent kernel errors.

Also, could you attach your /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf file? I can try using your config on one of my test systems, and see if I’m able to provoke that error.

-Eric

/var/log/proftpd is an empty directory
dmesg | tail -15 has no output at the moment
atached my proftpd.conf file, it is the default config that came with virtualmin - have some fun (just change extension)

Howdy,

Well, Virtualmin doesn’t provide the ProFTPd package, that’s pulled down from apt… so there’s room for something to go awry if something were unusual about the repository, or during the package installation.

Now, all that is all really unlikely, but you’re also the first person to post here about this particular problem, so we’re already within the “unlikely” realm of things :slight_smile:

I’ll test that config and see if any issues stand out.

-Eric

Okay, as you predicted, I’m not seeing anything unusual with your config file. When I place it on my test Ubuntu system, ProFTPd starts up just fine.

I’m running out of ideas as to what to suggest… there’s nothing unusual about ProFTPd on a Virtualmin system, it’s simply pulled down from the Ubuntu apt repository during Virtualmin installation. No additional configuration is done to that.

So, we should be dealing with an Ubuntu default.

When a default such as that doesn’t work, it starts to point to the unusual… corrupt packages, disk errors, memory problems… and other yucky things :slight_smile:

Perhaps we ought to verify the package that you have… can you run this command:

dpkg -l ‘proftpd*’

That should show what version of ProFTPd you have, as well as where it came from.

Also, the tool “debsums” can help in determining if something somehow became corrupt. You can install that by running this command:

apt-get install debsums

Then, try running it like this:

debsums -ca

When you run that, what output do you get?

-Eric

Hmm what can go wrong, if the only comands and configs during instalation was

1. after set up i loged in as root
  2. apt-get install wget mc htop
  3. wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh
  4. sh install.sh
  5. after the instalation scp -rp remoteuser@server.com/dir /localdir got backups from remote server
  6. extracted backups (virtual minbackups)
  7. stoped dovecot, clam, postgres, spam
    so no configuration or anything else to mess up, didnt had a chance yet… :smiley:

dpkg -l ‘proftpd*’ gives us this outpot

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
++±==============-==============-============================================
un proftpd (no description available)
un proftpd-abi-1. (no description available)
ii proftpd-basic 1.3.2c-1ubuntu Versatile, virtual-hosting FTP daemon - bina
un proftpd-doc (no description available)
un proftpd-mod-ld (no description available)
un proftpd-mod-my (no description available)
un proftpd-mod-od (no description available)
un proftpd-mod-pg (no description available)
un proftpd-mod-sq (no description available)

and output of debsums

root@vh11:~# apt-get install debsums
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
debsums
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 48.2kB of archives.
After this operation, 274kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe debsums 2.0.48 [48.2kB]
Fetched 48.2kB in 0s (506kB/s)
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 75, <> line 1.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
Preconfiguring packages …
Selecting previously deselected package debsums.
(Reading database … 65176 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking debsums (from …/debsums_2.0.48_all.deb) …
Setting up debsums (2.0.48) …
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 75.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline

root@vh11:~# debsums -ca
/etc/apache2/suexec/www-data
/etc/default/apache2
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf
/etc/apache2/ports.conf
/usr/share/bind9/bind9-default.md5sum
/etc/bind/named.conf.local
debsums: no md5sums for binutils
debsums: missing file /etc/init/console-setup.conf (from console-setup package)
/etc/init/networking.conf
/etc/apache2/mods-available/php5.conf
/etc/logrotate.conf
debsums: missing file /etc/init/module-init-tools.conf (from module-init-tools package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/mountall-net.conf (from mountall package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/mountall-shell.conf (from mountall package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/mountall.conf (from mountall package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/mounted-varrun.conf (from mountall package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/mounted-dev.conf (from mountall package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/mounted-tmp.conf (from mountall package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/mountall-reboot.conf (from mountall package)
/etc/mysql/my.cnf
debsums: no md5sums for netbase
/etc/init/ssh.conf
debsums: no md5sums for php5
debsums: missing file /etc/init/plymouth-log.conf (from plymouth package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/plymouth.conf (from plymouth package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/plymouth-stop.conf (from plymouth package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/plymouth-splash.conf (from plymouth package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/procps.conf (from procps package)
/etc/default/saslauthd
debsums: missing file /etc/init/udev.conf (from udev package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/udevtrigger.conf (from udev package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/udevmonitor.conf (from udev package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/udev-finish.conf (from udev package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/tty3.conf (from upstart package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/tty2.conf (from upstart package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/tty6.conf (from upstart package)
/etc/init/rc.conf
debsums: missing file /etc/init/tty1.conf (from upstart package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/upstart-udev-bridge.conf (from upstart package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/tty4.conf (from upstart package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/tty5.conf (from upstart package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/control-alt-delete.conf (from upstart package)
debsums: no md5sums for usermin
debsums: no md5sums for usermin-virtual-server-theme
debsums: missing file /etc/init/hwclock.conf (from util-linux package)
debsums: missing file /etc/init/hwclock-save.conf (from util-linux package)
debsums: no md5sums for webmin
debsums: no md5sums for webmin-security-updates
debsums: no md5sums for webmin-virtual-server
debsums: no md5sums for webmin-virtual-server-theme
debsums: no md5sums for webmin-virtualmin-awstats
debsums: no md5sums for webmin-virtualmin-dav
debsums: no md5sums for webmin-virtualmin-htpasswd
debsums: no md5sums for webmin-virtualmin-mailman
debsums: no md5sums for webmin-virtualmin-svn

Hmm what can go wrong, if the only comands and configs during instalation was … no configuration or anything else to mess up, didnt had a chance yet… :smiley:

I completely understand, and I don’t think you did anything wrong :slight_smile:

I don’t see anything suspicious in your debsums output.

So, I’m fresh out of ideas as to what we can look at on your system.

I think the next step is to talk to your provider, tell them you receive an “Illegal instruction” error anytime you attempt to start your default ProFTPd install, and ask them if they’re seeing any memory disk, or other errors related to your installation.

I suppose another alternative is that some security system could be running on your setup that’s causing problems… things like SELinux, grsecurity, and the like are capable of causing that.

It shouldn’t be a problem on a default Ubuntu installation – but it’s difficult to know what all a provider setup with their distribution images. You may want to ask if they’re aware of any security settings that could cause that.

-Eric

Since you’re using Ubuntu 10.04 x64, just like me: Do you also get an error for proftpd -v? If not, what version is installed? You can check that in aptitude too.

What output do you get for:

which proftpd cat \`which proftpd\` | md5sum

I get output = dc86cf09005b764e32ea6191e6ed6d0f

Got reply from vps support, and they are sugesting to reinstall, and likley I am doing so.

ProFTPD Version 1.3.2c

Okay, I have the same version and am getting a different checksum. So it’s possible the binary (or maybe further files too) are corrupted… Maybe try reinstalling only the ProFTPD package first?

What’s your output for uname -a ?

Mine is: Linux lyra 2.6.32-33-server #71-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 20 17:42:25 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ok, as i got advice from vps support to reinstall, and they also could not find anything wrong.
I did the rinstall multiple times :frowning: last night, just to check

And run in to more intresting issues…

1. did the clean install of Ubuntu 10.04 x64, apt update then upgrade, clean virtualmin install via script, same problem apeared.

2. did the second reinstall with just same OS , just apt update and no upgrade, clean virtualmin install via script - same problem

3. took Ubuntu 10.04 x32 same scenario

4. Debian 6 x64 - install script ran for an frustrating 1 hour, i just reinstalled server to x32

5. Debian 6 x32 - Everything went fine, everyting works :slight_smile:

by the way, before taking ubuntu, I tried Debian 5 which works perfect, but it did not fit with the subversion version, It has subversion 1.5.5 or something like that i had to have 1.6.6 or higher.

So thanks all of you, your help is apriciated, hope this discussion will solve some this problem to other people.